Mesa Express 5:50(1st Version) 2nd Channel E.Q???

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5867
edited July 2016 in Amps
Although I use this amp mainly on Channel 1 on Clean and add pedals, I've noticed that the EQ on Channel 2(Blues and Burn) is not as descernible as Channel 1(Clean and Crunch).

There's not much difference at both bedroom or rehearsal levels when fully sweeping the Bass, Treble, Mid etc, but very noticable on Channel 1.

Is this a Valve fault thing or more to do with a cap or resistor or something. Sounds a bit thin with any Guitar and the EQ doesn't alter it to what I'd like. Never known this on an amp before, my Bogner EQ is fine too.

Anyone else own the same amp model, what's yours sound like?

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I have one 2x12 but mk1 version without the graphic EQ.....will try it tomorrow afternoon if i can remember and report back.  Like you  i tend to use the clean channel plus pedals on top for dirt when gigging. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5867
    Thanks @siraxeman ;

Mine is also MK1, it'd be good to hear your results.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    It's a while since I've played an Express and I can't remember for sure, but this is a characteristic of both the Dual Caliber and the F-Series, which are its ancestors. On the DC the lead channel EQ is fairly useless, you need the graphic EQ to get any real control over it. I seem to remember the F-Series being a bit more effective, but I've only played those a few times rather than owning one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    It's a while since I've played an Express and I can't remember for sure, but this is a characteristic of both the Dual Caliber and the F-Series, which are its ancestors. On the DC the lead channel EQ is fairly useless, you need the graphic EQ to get any real control over it. I seem to remember the F-Series being a bit more effective, but I've only played those a few times rather than owning one.

Thanks @ICBM ;

I trust your recollection of these amps, it's an odd affair though, is it a case of sacrificing something for cost/build etc.

I don't use channel 2 much, which is probably why it's taken me so long to notice and the Telecaster makes it more noticeable, it's not terrible, but slightly annoying.

Probably explains why they introduced a Graphic Equalizer on the MK2.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Bellycaster said:

I trust your recollection of these amps, it's an odd affair though, is it a case of sacrificing something for cost/build etc.

I don't use channel 2 much, which is probably why it's taken me so long to notice and the Telecaster makes it more noticeable, it's not terrible, but slightly annoying.
    I haven't got a schematic for the Express, but if it's like the DC it has an odd arrangement for the lead channel where there are two sets of EQ, one is the knobs you can see and the other is pre-set with fixed resistors inside. The effect is that the preset one limits what you can do with the controls, and the lead channel is just very middy and constricted-sounding. You can only open it up by using the GEQ fairly extremely, to boost bass and treble and cut mids… the classic Mesa 'deep-V' setting. The F-Series is less extreme (from memory), you don't have a GEQ but there is the Contour mode which is a preset shallow-V EQ.

I can only assume Mesa just want them to sound like that. I never found the DC lead channel useful for lead, only as a deliberately slightly-buried-in-the-mix crunch rhythm. I always turned on the EQ for lead. It can't have been that bad since I gigged with it for about seven years!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    Yeah my F50 is a bit like that on ch2. The treble makes a bit of difference (and also adds more gain) but the mid and bass (especially bass) don't do a lot. Although i have found that the more treble i put on the less the others do and less treble makes the mids more effective, and the bass. Funny way of doing things and i'm still getting to grips with it 6 months on. 

I keep meaning to try an eq pedal in the loop, i've recently bought a Throttle box eq (recto in a box basically) and the eq on that is amazingly powerfull.
    nick79 said:
    Yeah my F50 is a bit like that on ch2. The treble makes a bit of difference (and also adds more gain) but the mid and bass (especially bass) don't do a lot. Although i have found that the more treble i put on the less the others do and less treble makes the mids more effective, and the bass. Funny way of doing things and i'm still getting to grips with it 6 months on. 

I keep meaning to try an eq pedal in the loop, i've recently bought a Throttle box eq (recto in a box basically) and the eq on that is amazingly powerfull.

Thanks @nick79 ;

Sounds like mine, must be the way they make em. Just glad it's not faulty.
    I think so mate. Can be frustrating sometimes but when its dialed in right and cranked up there's nothing quite like it. :)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    just checked mine - its as you say - the EQ on the lead channel is way more subtle compared to the clean channel. So its how they are...either that or mine has the same fault as yours does!
    siraxeman said:
    just checked mine - its as you say - the EQ on the lead channel is way more subtle compared to the clean channel. So its how they are...either that or mine has the same fault as yours does!

Seems it's par for the course with these.
    I might be wrong (and probably am, knowing me...) but i think its do with the eq being before the gain stage? @ICBM will be the man who knows.