Mixing Valve Brands?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5867
Total Noob Valve question, but hey ho!

Is it best to stick to the same Brand of Valves in the pre amp section. I know a 12ax7 is a 12ax7, but there may be things unknown to me.

Say, if your amp came with all JJ's and you swap one out, could you put in a Mesa or a Sovtek etc. Typical tightwad question I guess, can you put in something cheaper, or not tightwad, can you put in something that is superior?

I know Output Valves are matched, so the question doesn't apply to those.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Switch and swap as much as you like, in fact it's encouraged not to use the same brand valves all the way down as that will just serve to exaggerate the characteristics (good or bad) of that valve, which will not usually yield the best tone.

Just make sure that you only use 12ax7 types and you will be fine. Note that a lot of brands are simply relabels of valves made by other manufacturers. E.g. Mesa don't make their own valves so they are all relabelled JJ, Sovtek or Chinese valves. They may undergo more levels of screening but essentially they sound the same as their original counterparts, at much inflated prices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Not using all the same brand is just as much of a matter of taste as anything else. Many amps sound great/best with just one brand of valves - I find it often gives a more distinct and consistent sound. Not always, though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5867
    Thanks @Maynehead ;

This puzzled me as well in my Bogner Manual. There are 5 pre amp tubes, the chassis labels them all as 12ax7 - except V4, which is a 12at7.

The Manual states differently

v1 12ax7
    v2 ecc803
    v3 12ax7B
    v4 12at7 (explained above)
    v5 12ax7B

Not heard of a ecc803, an ecc83, yes and wondered what the "B" was on the other 12ax7's.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited July 2016
    ECC803 is a JJ, but the nice sounding JJ, not the more common ECC83 which have become synonymous with the brand. It's quite well balanced across the frequency range and not as raspy as the 83. You won't do too badly by using this in some position in your amp (try it as the phase inverter i.e. V5).

The 12ax7B are Chinese Shuguang, slightly older version compared to the latest 9th generation, a pretty stock valve that breaks up early and maintains good clarity. I like the latest version better though.

Not sure what the first one is as there are no details, but the first one is the most important in terms of tone and noise, so put your best valve there. If you where to invest in just one new valve this is the one to replace.

The 12at7 is a lower gain specification of preamp valve, and some amps use them for the reverb driver so stick to the spec. It shouldn't affect the tone too much so you can leave the stock one in there unless it's giving you problems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Maynehead ;

I think if I'd looked at my Bogner Manual closer it would have answered my question  :)

I was still unsure if Mesa Amps recommended Mesa Tubes, but as you've pointed out they are just relabelled ones, so happy days  =)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    I was still unsure if Mesa Amps recommended Mesa Tubes
    They not only recommend them, they invalidate the warranty if you use anything else! Assuming you're daft enough not to put the Mesa ones back if it needs to go in for a repair, anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I was still unsure if Mesa Amps recommended Mesa Tubes
    They not only recommend them, they invalidate the warranty if you use anything else! Assuming you're daft enough not to put the Mesa ones back if it needs to go in for a repair, anyway...

It's way past warranty :)