GAS - Vox AC30C2/C2X?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
edited July 2016 in Amps
I'll be adding an amp to my collection this year and I keep getting drawn to one of these, just wondered what your thoughts are on them?

I have a Bogner GF 45 Head and a Mesa 5:50 Mk1 Combo, so fancied something different.

I know Vox are not made in the UK anymore, do you think the build quality is still good? I know Q.C in China can be just as good as anything else.

Even if the Q.C is great, do you feel they are still a tad overpriced?

Next is the speakers, I liked the comparisons of the Alnico Blue and Greenback speakers and thought the Blues sounded better(clarity), not that there's owt wrong with Greenbacks.

The Blues will distort earlier I imagine being rated at 15 watts each, not sure if this would suit handling pedals, I'd assume the Greenbacks would be better for the job.

My budget would max out at £1250(Blue Version). The Greenback Version is more suitably priced for a Yorkshireman

What's your thoughts on them? Have you found them reliable?
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Overall blues and greens seem to get to almost the same volume - blues are more efficient but max out sooner. I prefer blues for their sound, but if you're using lots of pedals greenbacks are a bit more versatile and sound better over a wider volume range for gigging. Occasionally I found myself fighting the blues when 'compressed, loud and shouty midrange' wasn't what I was after.

ive had no reliability issues with the Chinese and Vietnamese ac30s I've had, and I definitely put plenty of hours on them - just the usual valve problems that you'd expect from any amp, and el84 quads only last 6-ish months of regular use in these amps IMO.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I had a C2 in purple I bought end of line from GAK, no problems with the chassis. But I thought the MDF cabinet was a bit cheeky. I sold it to a guy in a mod band & bought a Blackstar Artisan 30 for the same money used.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I've owned a AC30 C2, and now have a AC30HW2x....both great amps. I didn't own them at the same time so haven't done a side by side comparison. But whilst you can't go wrong with either part of the Vox AC30 legend was due to the alnico speakers (silvers...then eventually blues) If I was getting a 2nd AC30 I'd be less bothered as I'm reliably informed that a green and a blue sound great together...but if it was one AC30 then I'd go the extra mile and get a C2X - just wait for a minter to come up on ebay then start haggling! They come up all the time! Keep toying with the idea of flogging my Express 5:50 and getting a 2nd AC30....but so far I've just not done anything about it...just a thought at the moment. Nothing wrong with the 5:50 - it to sounds great running the clean channel and my pedals for dirt. Odd thing to think that for a Mesa amp but hey ho...tis the way I roll. AC30HW2x sounds great that way to and still remains my fave amp of my 3.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    edited July 2016
    Might go with the Greenback version and then change speakers if I don't like it. Wonder if a Blue and a Green in the same Amp sounds great @siraxeman ?
    Yes - that's actually what I've heard a few people do - my local guitar tech guy has an old AC30 - I think he blew one of the Blues some years ago...stuck a green in and actually preferred it that way so that's how it stayed! On my old Red Special forum I think I've read similar a few times - both ways either 2 AC30s one Blues one Greens...or a mix in the same amp. Too many times I've read people say a Green and a Blue sounds great so even though I've not personally heard this mix it seems to be well regarded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    @siraxeman ;

What's the volume taper like on the AC30, is it sort of "Bang", it's loud on "1" or a bit more forgiving, I will be playing it cranked at rehearsals and gigs, but wondered if you can tame it at bedroom levels, it has the Master Volume, but my Bogner is a bit urgent even with the master volume and the Mesa can be put on 5 watts.

Anyway, looking forward to trying the AC30 and then I will have 3 very different amps.
    no the taper on the AC30's I've owned have always been alright....even easy to get a low volume house level without any fuss. Definitely a hair trigger like on some Fenders ie HRD. They do get loud pretty quick then after about 5 or 6 they just distort more. You can easily gig an AC30 on just 3 though on the volume...and its getting pretty loud by then! Surprising just how loud a 33w amp gets! I can't imagine ever needing more volume really...apart from a band that wants mad loud crystal cleans - the AC30 will start to growl and add grit by 5, sooner if your using hotter buckers. So big crystal cleans I'd go for a Twin Reverb, if you don't mind grit the AC all the way.