Timmons Halo effect delay - Timeline settings?

What's Hot
JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
edited August 2016 in FX
anyone cracked it and willing to share? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7552
    It's a dual delay isn't it (easy on the Eventides as all delays have A and B settings)

He mentions it in one of the videos I saw recently - might be the GigRig vid ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited August 2016
    Its a serial dual delay with some  modulation - and theres lots of info online - though some conflicting threads too ; im looking for the definitive settings ideally - possibly through someone who knows someone etc - who has had proximity to his board or who has a much better set of ears than mine with respect to complex rhythmic delay subdivisions.   
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    As I say, the man himself mentions the ms settings on one of his recent videos with Dan from gigrig 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    He talks you through the settings for his Deluxe Memory Man setup at 3:57 on in this video
    With picture of his settings at 2:48 if you pause it there.

He is basically trying to recreate the sound of old style tape echo, which I think is shown in the video I put in the thread shot in Mike Daane's studio, but with better on-the-road reliability, hence the move onto the Timeline.  That sound comes complete with the wow and flutter of the old tape echoes, using delay modulation to emulate the pitch shifting, and giving a nice spacious chorussing to the sound.  He uses an expression pedal now to control the blend on the timeline, and used an interesting modification to foot control the blend on his old DMM pedals (2:48 on video).

So the upshot of all that is that the delays are set at approx 500ms and 350ms in stereo, or summed to mono as required, and approx dotted eight quarter notes, (I say approx because that's the best you can do with old analogue gear like that) and are not necessarily synchronous with the song tempo, and the wow and flutter / modulation is not synchronous between the delays either, in total giving a more random, organic, and interesting feel to the sound IMO.

That should give you a good starting point for your own explorations with your new Timeline.
    Not being a timeline user I can't give you a more detailed setup, sorry.

And around 14:40 on the PG rig rundown video

For a bundle more on Andy Timmons:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/15465/how-does-andy-timmons-get-his-sound#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    actually yes I think it was that PG video I was mis-remembering :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Just for reference I should probably have included a pic of the DMM, a bit easier to see what the controls are, than in a freeze frame on the YT video which shows AT's settings OK I think...

http://www.guitargeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ehx_deluxe_memoryman.jpg