Attenuator for ac15

Love my amp, but would like a touch more volume control at the bedroom range - it's a tiny bit hair trigger with the preamp gain wound up to compress a wee bit (about 8 out of 10 - definitely the sweet spot for me). It has a bit of hair if I rock the volume pedal forward and cleans up with a tiny bit of compression with the pedal back. Just enough headroom left in the preamp to give a solo boost, too, if I'm using a distortion pedal. 

I'm not looking for something to let me crank the bollocks off it - I'll keep the master volume engaged (it can be bypassed which is neat for rehearsal) but just something that'll give me a bit more control at the bottom of the range, so I can turn the master a little more freely rather than just touching it in.

Is there a cheap one that'll do just that? I'm looking at the jettenuator, or the harley benton, but not sure how they will sound on an AC15. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    They should be fine - Vox-type amps seem to work best with purely resistive attenuators.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    They should be fine - Vox-type amps seem to work best with purely resistive attenuators.

Awesome. 

I have an 8 ohm 50 watt l pad in a tin I used to use with a 5 watt amp. Would this work, or is it not powerful enough? That'd be purely resistive (albeit with a shite taper) and sounded fine on my old Mooer little monster ac (voiced a bit like a top boost ac30), though did lose some treble. Perhaps I could build a 100 watt one and have a treble switch on it, but if my current one works... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    It should be just about enough - probably safe if you're not thrashing the amp. Just keep any eye (or a finger...) on the temperature, if it gets too hot to touch it's too hot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It should be just about enough - probably safe if you're not thrashing the amp. Just keep any eye (or a finger...) on the temperature, if it gets too hot to touch it's too hot.

Okay, cool. I think I may have a go at making a 100 watt one and using some thermal paste just to be absolutely sure. They're not that expensive anyway.