Dishwasher

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17638
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Getting our first ever dishwasher.

I need a 60cm freestanding, white one and my preference is for Bosch as that's what everything else I have is and it's all been very reliable.

Would like something with decent water and power use but i don't want to spend silly money so £300-400ish

Anything worth knowing or looking out for?

Anyone with a Which subscription know what gets good reviews?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    We bought a Bosch SMS63M32GB.
    It was £400.
    No complaints at all- it works and isn't too noisy.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Quietness is a good thing and I paid 429 to AO for my Bosch dishwasher last month.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    Don't know the model numbers but our first DW was a bosch and lasted about 10+ years so we replaced it with another. It was trouble free for years but ended up with a stuck sensor which was cleaned and lubed to provide months more service but when it happened again We pulled the trigger on a new one.
    Would not hesitate to buy another even though bosch is not quite what it once was and are very much built to a price point nowadays.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11928
    some are incredibly noisy
    some have no  space for normal plates
    we bought an LG top-spec one, had to send it back, could not use any normal dinner plates

Now have a Bosch
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    We've got a Bosch too. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Never had one until we moved into a house with one. It was a new Bush dishwasher. Its dead after less than 2 years. We had someone take a look and they flatly refused to work on it and advised we just replace with something better. tbh, its been broken a few months and I have not missed it, but we are replacing with a SMEG next week
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    edited August 2016
    WezV said:
    Never had one until we moved into a house with one. It was a new Bush dishwasher. Its dead after less than 2 years. We had someone take a look and they flatly refused to work on it and advised we just replace with something better. tbh, its been broken a few months and I have not missed it, but we are replacing with a SMEG next week
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but is there any chance you can change the purchase?
    We bought a few flats that came with Smeg dishwashers and fridges- all of them died within 3-4 years and were expensive to fix so we replaced them with cheaper but better units.
    One fridge was replaced twice.
    Smeg are a brand that you pay for the brand name as much as product.
    YMMV of course.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Another Bosch user.

We do get the odd error code but not often, and it normally just means the filter needs a clean.

We've been pretty happy with ours.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Mines called Claire. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    octatonic said:
    WezV said:
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but is there any chance you can change the purchase?
    We bought a few flats that came with Smeg dishwashers and fridges- all of them died within 3-4 years and were expensive to fix so we replaced them with cheaper but better units.
    YMMV of course.

wife did the research and made the choice so I will let her know she made a bad one in 3-4 years  ;)

TBH I don't get why we are buying an integrated Smeg - surely the point of a Smeg is all about the style

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    My AEG built in one has been going strong for 10 years now. If it broke tomorrow I'd get another one, or a Bosch :)
    Be aware though that there are different "Bosch's" depending on price bracket, the lower price ones are also NEFF I think. They're made in different factories around the world. The more expensive ones are made in Germany.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8722
    speshul91 said:
    Mines called Claire. 
    Our Swedish friends have a dishwasher called Inge. Apparently that means "no one" in Swedish. They find it hilarious that "no one" does the washing up in their house.

Another Bosch user here. It's seven years old. It's predecessor was about 10, and gave up the ghost because we left it virtually unused when I was working in India in 2008. 

My method of choosing these things is to walk along the product line until I find one that's too expensive or too sophisticated, then go back one step.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Bosch make the best in my experience. I had to spec one for my old work kitchen that backed onto one of the director's offices... it had to be near silent in operation to keep him sweet. It was and it survived three years of abuse...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Another Bosch user, all good.  Though can anyone explain why the 45cm ones like I have cost more than the 60cm ones!
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Because they aren't as common. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@ESchap Easy, far fewer narrow ones sold = lower economy of scale. :)

We had a narrow Bosch in our old place and only gave it to friends because our new kitchen had space for a standard-sized one. When that wears out, a Bosch is a likely replacement.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Miele, great machine. Highly recommended.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Bosch for the win - fitted a slim one and its great, quiet and fit full size plates, saucepans etc.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    edited August 2016
    Whirlpool 6th sense...it's so quiet and A+++ rated and had an ace Which rating Edit..best bit was it was £300
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    WezV said:
    octatonic said:
    WezV said:
    YMMV of course.

wife did the research and made the choice so I will let her know she made a bad one in 3-4 years  ;)

TBH I don't get why we are buying an integrated Smeg - surely the point of a Smeg is all about the style

Nah, the point of Smeg is they're actually really good quality. I adore my Smeg cooker. No experience of their dishwashers though. 

Our DW is either Samsung or LG, I can't remember, but it cleans well and is going string after 3.5 years.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires