Small amp with footswitch channels

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24310
I haven't bought a small / practice guitar amp since about 1995.

I find myself in need of a small amp - giggable next to woodwind instruments and the odd bit of brass but no drummers.
Definitely looking at SS or modelling with footswitchable sounds. 2 is fine but i there is an option for 3 then even better.

I see there are loads of little things like the Fender Mustangs and the Blackstar stuff - but what is good?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    Mustangs and Cubes
    Red ones are better. 
  • I'd try out the Blackstars, the ID 100TVP head is the only one I've tried but it honestly sounds pretty decent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    If no drummer the ID30 TVP would probably work good..the £50 option footswitch is really good and adds tuner function to the FSW too. The Mustangs too altho I cannot speak from experience
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    I haven't bought a small / practice guitar amp since about 1995.

I find myself in need of a small amp - giggable next to woodwind instruments and the odd bit of brass but no drummers.
    Definitely looking at SS or modelling with footswitchable sounds. 2 is fine but i there is an option for 3 then even better.

I see there are loads of little things like the Fender Mustangs and the Blackstar stuff - but what is good?

Buy a cube and ask Bright Onion to make the switcher for it. They do one.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Laney VC15 is real small with big sound and fsw clean/overdrive & reverb
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2016
    Blackstar ID60 head. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Your Helix and a little active PA speaker
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24310
    My helix is a rack. Too much to carry for what I want.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    +1 for the Laney VC15, excellent small valve amp and you can hook it to a larger cab if needed. Not modelling of course but possibly the most compact proper valve combo.

There are two versions, one with Spring reverb and one with digital, you can tell them apart by the number of vents on top. I can't remember which is which but whatever isn't on current new sale is the spring one. They can be had for around £150 used
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24310
    I've had a VC 15 in the past and it was ok.

But it will still be too loud for proper drive with woodwinds - as will most valve amps.

• gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    Another cube vote. Even the older 40xl is great, costs balls all, has a looper, is about 5oz's, and can switch channels (clean to dirty) + solo boost on either from a different dirty than your dirty if you want. eg marshall crunch channel switching to mesa solo boost / Jazz chorus clean with chorus switching to JC solo without chorus at higher vol. Effectively giving 4 switchable sounds with no volume problems. Amp was less than 200 last time i looked & the fs6 switcher 50ish.
    Best of all it works like an amp with knobs & stuff & no screen/logic controls which is perfect for simpletons like myself.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6686
    I've got a Blackstar HT5R combo listed for sale if you fancy it. Cheap and chips and does a decent drive at low levels. Also packs a good loud 5W if you need it.