Morgan AC20 Deluxe or Morgan Abbey

What's Hot
cdtabman1cdtabman1 Frets: 1
Hi, I'm looking to buy one of the above amps. I really like the Edge's sound from U2 as well as Beatles so I'm thinking of going for the Morgan Abbey as it's the Top Boost channel of an AC30. I phoned a couple of shops and they reckoned the AC20 Deluxe would be a better choice. I would have thought the Top Boost would be better for me as that's what channel the Edge uses. Does anyone have any experience of these amps? cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    I'd avoid just purely based on the lack or ethics / morals of the company owner, but that's just me :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How do you mean lack or ethics or morals out of interest?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Do a search and you'll find some examples :)
  • I wasn't planning on buying it direct from him. TBH all I care about is the quality of the amp. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    I tried to wade through some of the threads, but do some Morgan amps have reliability issues as well?  
  • I tried to wade through some of the threads, but do some Morgan amps have reliability issues as well?  
    My own experience is that I've got two Morgans and not had any problems with either of them....
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Going back to my original question, can anyone recommend which would be better between the AC20 Deluxe and the Abbey for getting U2 type sounds?
  • I've got an ac40 and an swr50 so can't really do the comparison you need - John at Peach had quite a few Morgans and it's where I got mine, so he/they are probably as well placed as anyone to give you a feel for the direct comparison....
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9547
    AC20 for U2 sounds...

I'd head for Matchless or Bad Cat if I was in this kinda territory (as I was)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I've had an RCA35 for a few years now and never had any reliability problems or issues.  
    I've never played an Abbey in person but from what I remember the ac20 and the abbey share a lot of the same components (even the transformers are the same I think).  The AC20 does have a switchable ef86 to 12ax7 option so it should offer more versatility but still get to that top boost vibe.  
  • Thanks everyone - I'm going to go for the AC20 I think - just need so save up the £'s!
  • Any ideas as to what the best Morgan cab to go with the AC20 Deluxe head would be?

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Just an observation but what is wrong with buying a Vox if you want a Vox sound?  They are making some very nice amps at the moment.  Educate me please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Indeed - or get someone on here to build you a TB circuit to your spec for much less dosh
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • I'd probably get a vox ac30! They're great sounding amps. They have the handwired one if that's more your bag, probably better built with slightly better stuff but I was recently advised by amp techs that vox output pretty great stuff right now across the board. 

I wound up with a handwired ac15 ef86 clone, but only because of chance. I'd have been very happy to do that but chance reared it's head. 

I think the edge uses fender tweed amps alongside vox ac15s and ac30s.  I remember an interview with his tech and his line up was vast. 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    FWIW, when I recently tried an AC15CC1X the normal channel seemed far more usable than I'd expected.  Given a choice of one, that would be my pick.  Haven't found the hardwired version anywhere in the southwest yet though - probably a good job!
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    edited August 2016
    + wis for all who recommended a real AC30. I bought my '64 for less than 2/3rds of the cost of an Abbey 20. If you're not a handwired snob, the UK made Korg AC30's are very close to the original 60's circuit (and sound epic - but get the alnico Blues).

If you fancy building something yourself, you could try the @Modulus_Amps Trainwreck Rocket clone which is pretty much the top boost channel of an AC30: http://modulusamplification.com/Wrocket-Top-Boost-30Watt-4-x-EL84-Head-kit-P5468809.aspx
  • Thanks for the input guys - lots to mull over!

• Make sure you try a Bad Cat first. Black Cat 30 or Cub III 30 ideally. Fantastic amps with a lifetime warranty.