Which patch cables have the slimmest jack plugs?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
I use George Ls patch cables but wondered if the pancake style or any other patch cable plugs have slimmer plugs than the George Ls i.e. take up less space on the pedal board. Thanks.
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6114
    edited August 2016
    I had this same issue very recently. The slimmest I found are EBS Patch cables.
  • EA SIS plugs stick out your pedal 12mm - very small, why we use so many of em!
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Thanks for that @JezWynd and @CustomPedalBoardsI'm not sure the EBS cables are cork-sniffery enough for me! The George Ls stick out 16mm so there'd be a tiny saving with the EAs.

Does anyone have any experience with the pancake plugs and can tell me how far they stick out? I'm building a Nano board hence need to maximise space!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72603
    If you're going all-out to save space you can use pancake plugs with the backs left off - just put a piece of tape over the centre terminal to stop it shorting against the next pedal or plug, if they don't already have a cardboard flap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Thanks for that @JezWynd and @CustomPedalBoardsI'm not sure the EBS cables are cork-sniffery enough for me! The George Ls stick out 16mm so there'd be a tiny saving with the EAs.

Does anyone have any experience with the pancake plugs and can tell me how far they stick out? I'm building a Nano board hence need to maximise space!
    Just a word of warning - if you're using 1590A/mini pedals (Mooer for example) - make sure you've gone enough space left between pedals to actually press the right button ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6114
    Pancake plugs can be problematic as they occ. block access to the power socket on some pedals. Worth checking before you jump.
  • Thanks for that @JezWynd and @CustomPedalBoardsI'm not sure the EBS cables are cork-sniffery enough for me! The George Ls stick out 16mm so there'd be a tiny saving with the EAs.

pancakes are also 12mm. pancakes tho tend to be made of cheaper pot metal, same as lava (funnily enuf!) just try holding a magnet next to a pancake!
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9608
    EA SIS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I use disaster plugs http://www.guitarfxdirect.com/disaster-area-designs-disasterplug-solderless-cable-kit-p449

Pretty good, easy to make up when you use a decent screwdriver.
  • I use George Ls patch cables but wondered if the pancake style or any other patch cable plugs have slimmer plugs than the George Ls i.e. take up less space on the pedal board. Thanks.
    Do they have to be solderless?

Some of the really inexpensive Chinese Switchcraft knock-offs are super slim in profile, but have limitations on the cable diameter because the depth is so shallow.  You can find them from Kobiconn on Mouser.com if you look at their 1/4" connector selection.  They aren't great quality, but if the pedals on your board are relatively stationary, I don't think you'll have a problem.
    Mason J. Marangella
    Vertex Effects, Inc.
    mason@vertexeffects.com

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom