Silverface Champ Speaker

Hi guys
I have a '78 SF Champ that I adore, but having just had the tubes changed for the first time in its life, a heck of a lot of unwanted noise is still coming from it so I think its probably time I switched the speaker out. Anyone got a recommendation for an exact model to fit these? Love the vintage sparkling cleans this amp has on its good day so don't want to lose that!

Also is a speaker swap out as easy as it might seem? just a case of fitting the speaker and soldering?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634
    edited August 2016

Replacing the speaker is not going to reduce noise. You have probably swapped a good, old ECC83 for a new noisy one!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    Do you mean noise when the amp isn't amplifying a signal? If so it's nothing to do with the speaker. If it's making ratty/farty noises when playing it might be the speaker.

Yes, it's as easy as unsoldering the old speaker and unbolting it, then putting the new one in the same way.

The speaker you need is 8", 4-ohm (not 8-ohm) - the most commonly available ones are Weber.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited August 2016
    You dont even need to solder, mine had slip on terminals.
    You had the cap can replaced at any pount yet? 
  • Thanks for your replies guys. It is the speaker, Dave. It's farty rattling noises purely when playing. The old ECC83 died which is why I replaced it, the noisy speaker has been an issue before and after that change. Thanks ICBM, thats all I needed! Not replaced the cap can yet Winny, but im sure I will. Thanks
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    The WGS 8" Champ speaker is cheaper than a Weber in the EU and sounds good.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/wgs-g8c-20-watt-8-guitar-speaker-4ohm-p-2096.html
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I have the WGS in a silverface Vibrochamp and it sounds tremendous 

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I have the WGS in my silverface Champ too. It's nice. 
  • Glad to see a bit of  love for the WGS 8". Just bought a pair of them for a little project!
    The Swamp City Shakers