TIVO boxes etc

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12908
edited August 2016 in Off Topic

On a similar note to the Sky thread I'm thinking about dumping my Virgin TV subscription (pretty much everything I really want to watch is on Freeview anyway). I'd probably get either Prime or Netflix (or both) too.

Anyway, the one feature of my Virgin TV that I would really miss is the TIVO recorder/box. Can anyone recommend whatever kit I'd need to replace it adequately?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited August 2016
    Needs a price fella ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lol, thanks!
  • You could just buy a TiVo box independently of Virgin.
    Failing that, Humax used to be the Defacto DVR brand.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Yup Humax is very good. Go to their site and check out the refurbed units, some decent bargains to be had. 
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    We have a Humax box, does Freeview HD with DVR and all that.. Very happy with it. Recording is seamless, series link which is great. App-integration (iPlayer, itv, all 4, Ch 5, Netflix and more I never look at) is very good too.. 

Don't think it does prime, but I haven't checked lately. TBH despite having a prime subscription, there's very little I'm interested in on there (The Grand Tour excepted!).
  • Thanks.

Those Humax boxes look great---at £150 for one of them thats very attractive compared to paying Virgin £30 a month for TV...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    Is it the PVR aspect that you're most interested in? If you just want catch up TV services in one box, NOW TV is a pretty good shout- you can still get iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 etc without the subscription...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I want the ability to record and watch complete series, and also more importantly to be able to pause live TV.

Not so bothered about catchup services because I have a chromecast for iPlayer etc.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    edited August 2016
    Humax boxes are great. Some of the BT Branded boxes are also rebadged Humax. 

This one is very good, it's very fast / responsive to menu selections which some PVRS are not.

BT Youview+ Set Top Box with Twin HD Freeview and 7 Day Catch Up TV, No Subscription https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ISS61KE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_7OWOxbA052V7N

You can use the YouView app to control it via Internet as well.

They often turn up on eBay very cheaply.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    I have a Humax Freesat HD box. Had it a bout 3 years and its great.Cost around £200 new. 
  • Thanks Chaps. The BT branded Humax looks ideal. Few months until my current virgin deal ends and then I'll be cancelling the TV I think.