Please recommend me some speakers for a 2x10 cab (for Kemper)

What's Hot
jimificationjimification Frets: 161
edited August 2016 in Amps
Looking to upgrade the speakers in my 2x10 cab. It's actually a Fender Vaporizer that I rewired in stereo and am using as a cab for my Kemper like this:

Kemper (cab sims off) - > 25w Stereo Camplifier - > 2x10 stereo cab

It already sounds very, very good to my ears but I can't help thinking the stock Vaporizer speakers are probably quite cheap and could benefit from upgrading with something nice. Any recommendations? (I'm mostly playing an EJ strat clean to 70's rock kinda sounds, home playing only so doesn't need to go crazy loud)

I wondered about a mix of speakers to cover Jensen / Marshall profile territory, though I guess the SPL should be roughly similar so that the stereo is still perceivable.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

ICBM will attest the Greenback is a nice ten but I don't know if suited in this case?

G10N-40 ? As fitted to the Mk1 HT-5.

Dave.

• jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the response, Dave. Good to hear the 10" Greenback is a solid option. Might be a nice combo with something more Jensen-y? or maybe one GB and one G10N-40...I overlaid the Celestion frequency response graphs to try to see the differences and surprising how similar a lot of the curves look (though their graphs are squashed at the top end where most of the differences seem to be)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    I like a WGS Veteran 10 that I put in a Princeton.  Like a better Jensen without the farty bottom end.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/wgs-g10-veteran-20w-10-guitar-speaker-8ohm-p-1939.html

There is a 16 Ohm version as well.

If you want to spend a bit more the G10C 75 has a very good reputation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Another vote for WGS... have found them to be a good upgrade in a few amps!
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    edited August 2016
    Celestion a type gets a good write up and isn't silly money. I've just got hold to use with my helix. Will report back when up and running. 
  • Been looking at turning my Vaporizer into a 2x10 cab - I'm not using it as an amp anymore so would be fun to play around with. Watching this thread with intererest!

Did you remove the amp chassis or just leave it in there?
  • Ah that’s cool. No, I left the amp in there so I could still use it if I wanted to. If I was moving it around a lot I’d remove it though, just to save the weight. I rewired the existing speakers so they each have a separate lead to go into L and R of the Kemper Stereo amp outputs but I’ve bought a 2 into 1 jack plug adapter so I can still plug the speakers back into the vape amp if I wanted to do that.

It actually sounds pretty damn good already. Maybe there is no need to re-speaker but worth a go, I think. I’m currently leaning towards 2 x WGS G10c’s….will let you know how it goes…

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    I recently got a WGS Retro10, and I'm very pleased with it.  I know they're both ostensibly "British-sounding" speakers, but I'd bet an ET10 and Retro10 combination would work a treat with most things.  Here's a comparison vid of them run separately...

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    I think the stock speakers in the Vape are underrated. They sound very guitar-y with good midrange, even if they lack a bit of boom and bass. 

I recently got a cab with some celestion g10s-50s in. I think they're from the 90s and there isn't a tonne of info about them online. They're quite efficient and word on the web is their power rating is probably a low estimate. They get a nice thump and they have a good, clear sound. 
  • LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
    edited August 2016
    Warehouse Guitar Speakers (WGS) !!