Wah: Yah or Nah?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Yah.

Dunlop 535 for me (not 535Q, the older version with just a four-position range switch and a boost). Beats every other wah I've ever tried.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a Crybaby at the same time I got my Valvestate 8080. Either didn't use it right or it wasn't for me. Dug it out every six months or so, lubed it with Vasaline, played it for ten mins and put it back. Sold it six years later to a kid in another band for £20.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Love wah and have many - the RMC 10 being my favourite and my best. Honourable mentions go to the Xotic wah and Cry Baby mini. I've had a few GCB95's over the years and currently have one I picked up on eBay for cheap, which sounds considerably better than any Cry Baby I've tried before.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    I am a wah lover. Going to experiment with some different models this year after a long time with a Mayer wah.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited August 2016
    I like wah very much.

I'll always have a manual wah.

I like manual wah and fixed/cocked/parked wah sounds.

I have a ZVEX vexter Wah Probe and a Wilson Effects Parked Wah.

Noisy treadle wah pots suck. :(

I hate auto wah.  Auto wah sucks big.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2016
    Yep.
    I have a Vox 847 for the Hendrix/Cream type wah sounds.
    A Kirk Hammett for the metal type wah sounds.
    And a full-size Weeping Demon for general use (and shits'n'giggles).

I had an EVH which was really good, a throatier Crybaby, and I'd happily have another. Ideal for rockier (think late 70's to late 80's) stuff, without getting into thrash metal territory.

Like any FX when it's overdone it loses some (most) of it's musical effect.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    edited August 2016
    I had the luck to try out more than a dozen vintage wahs from the 60s and early 70s and they sounded incredible, yet even they had noticeable differences. Later cry baby and voxes lack character and tone and only now do I realise why my wah playing never sounded anything like the sound I expected. Hendrix didn't just order a wah; he selected from a range and then Mayer would buffer it for fuzz compatability. A warning though: a buffer takes away some of the wah's character making Up from the skies impossible to reach. 
    At risk of being a wah snob, my favourite wah is a vox transition 68 following from Clyde McCoy but with an unusual inductor. 
    If you're after a wah that vomits, best go for a Marshall super wah. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    mike_l said:

I had an EVH which was really good, a throatier Crybaby, and I'd happily have another. 
    That's what I like about multi FX. You can have one foot pedal, and the wah characteristics change with the patch settings.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    mike_l said:

I had an EVH which was really good, a throatier Crybaby, and I'd happily have another. 
    That's what I like about multi FX. You can have one foot pedal, and the wah characteristics change with the patch settings.
    I also have enough pedals for (at least) 3 different boards.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    I have one but I try not to overuse it.
    It is easily overused.
    octatonic said:
    I have one but I try not to overuse it.
    It is easily overused.
    You are not Kirk Hammett.
    I can't claim my £5.