USA Power

sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 724

Has anybody ran a USA voltage amps in the UK using a converter?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Lots of touring guys have, you could probably get a new power transformer fitted too.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited August 2016 tFB Trader
    Yep, a 110v Top Hat with a step down transformer in the bottom of the cab, never had a single issue.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    As per Mike (Modulus), I would recommend getting the power transformer swapped out as the preferred option, UK voltage equivalents are available for the majority of amps via Modulus or TAD for example or get the original rewound. Step down transformers can be fine if properly selected and fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. I do get a bit obsessive about safety on some old two wire US amps - but that's my job :-)   
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    Thousands of people have. You need a step *down* (not up) transformer (not converter - that often means something inferior) of at least the same rating as the power draw (not output) of the amp... if all that makes sense.

I also agree with DJH that replacing the amp's PT with a UK-voltage one or having a stepdown transformer properly fitted to the amp is a better idea since it avoids several safety issues, but a lot of vintage amp owners don't want that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein