Puppies

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Sporky said:

Sprocket was from a breeder - a reputable one, not a puppy farm. This was Lady BMcH's plan - as Sprocket is my first dog it was felt that a rescue might be too much.
    This is actually a really good plan; if you train a puppy so that he/she is a perfect example of the dog you want to live with, then getting a rescue later on is a much smoother process because they often learn everyday general behaviour from other dogs much more quickly than from direct training.

That's a mistake we made with Mac, our first - he was a rescue, and we really didn't have any idea what we were doing. As a result, we didn't do enough to calm his anxiety or help him get past his...past...and so he's a bit of a stresshead, which is unfair to him. He seems to be calming down a bit these days with the addition of another big dog to the family, though, so he's enjoying his retirement a little more.

That's what I meant by my post. As difficult as training a puppy (especially a Springer!) is, we can't wait to get another dog now. We just need to wait until Poppy is fully grown so we can make sure that we can do long walks with both dogs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    An older rescue dog will always come with a bit of emotional baggage.  I think a lot of people underestimate this.  Our previous dog was technically a rescue, but we were lucky enough to get her at eight weeks old.  When she suddenly died we were so heartbroken that we found another dog within a week, albeit from a breeder and an entirely different breed.  That is what grief does to you.

Older rescue dogs are definitely for the more experienced owner unless you are lucky or have a lot of patience.  Never discount them, but be aware they could be harder work.

Hopefully 'our' puppies will be a bit easier to rehome as they won't have any emotional issues and will still be small and cute.

The rescue society here we are helping will be vetting any prospective new homes first which is good.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    edited August 2016
    Richardj you must post more pictures of the puppies. 

Good job to look after them.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Richardj you most more pictures of the puppies. 

Good job to look after them.  
    Oh yes. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    Richardj said:

The rescue society here we are helping will be vetting any prospective new homes first which is good.
    To my mind, this is the single biggest thing the government could do to discourage backyard (and unscrupulous) breeders - mandate that every dog sold must have a documented home check.

However, the sad truth is that a side-effect is this kind of thing - dumped puppies. It'd take a number of years for the effects to settle down, but the flip side is that the rescue system would end up under a lot less pressure and thus would be more likely to be able to take them in and find them homes.
    <space for hire>

I'll get some more later when they are being fed.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    @Richardj they look awesome, well done you 
    OH MY SHIT! 

WANT! 
    I can't really take any credit, it's my nineteen year old daughter who has taken this on, OK, with help from us, up until she leaves for uni in the middle of September.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    YEAH! 

Super cute. 
    This is how they were found
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock