Buffers. I need a buffer. I have questions about buffers.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    ICBM said:
    But despite its complexity and sophistication, the Space Shuttle is probably the most dangerous form of transport ever devised, by fatalities per journey, number of journeys, distance travelled, or any other standard measure.
    Izzackly.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    ICBM said:
    But despite its complexity and sophistication, the Space Shuttle is probably the most dangerous form of transport ever devised, by fatalities per journey, number of journeys, distance travelled, or any other standard measure.

Even more dangerous than riding a bicycle in London.

Thanks @ICBM.
    I shall avoid travelling by Space Shuttle in  future.
    It's just not worth the risk unless it's a really long journey.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    Plus it's really hard finding one that's not been used on track or as a taxi.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BeefBeef Frets: 260
    Instructions unclear, came looking for a buffer but I've settled for a sweet mountain bike.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    edited August 2016
    Sporky said:
    I think what happens with the not-actually-a-buffer stuff is that people try a buffer, and like what it does (increased sparkle is not uncommon), and think "this'd be even better if it could boost and have tone controls and make sandwiches". Boost and tone control and sandwiches are all good things, but they are not buffer things. Buffers can be made very well for not much money - even if you add in good power supply protection and such.
    To be fair- sometimes the buffer does too much (granted- whether the ones which do too much are actually genuine buffers or not, I dunno). It can add too much sparkle for some players, who maybe don't want the dullness that comes with no buffer but don't want extreme sparkle either. I know the visual sound one in my route 808 was a bit like that for me- a good buffer for sure, and I very much appreciate that it was deliberately designed to be genuinely unity gain (in fact IIRC it's very slightly above unity) but it was very much, "I'M USING A BUFFER NOW!" whereas the klon buffer that I have in my ehx soul food felt more like I was just plugging straight into the amp. With the soul food you get a pedal too, though I know a lot of people have been complaining about EHX reliability.

Now, it's a pretty subtle difference (and I still have the route 808 on my board so I clearly don't care that much), but if I had to pick (especially if I were picking mainly for the buffer rather than the pedal) I'd rather have the soul food/klon buffer.

I guess... we need to watch we don't get into that annoying scientist, "it's not the fire that burns you, it's the heat!" mentality. It's all well and good using the proper technical terms but we kind of need to be able to communicate with laypeople too. And not be deliberately obtuse when they maybe aren't using quite the right terms, when it's pretty obvious (to me, at least) what they mean. Yes, not all buffers are technically buffers, but in guitarland they tend to be called buffers and used for that purpose, and if one sounds better, even if it's technically not really a buffer any more, that's fair enough. The aim's to sound better, not use the buffer that's technically closest to a "real" buffer.  =)
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    If you can solder, get one of these: http://1776effects.com/product/unicorn-breath-buffer/

You can get it in a box this small with very little effort.

Job done.
  • BeefBeef Frets: 260
    Yes, I agree with what Dave_Mc says. Please explain things like you might to a five year old when dealing with laymen like me. The only thing I took from this is that sandwiches are good things like Sporky said, and that space shuttles make bad buffers.

@juansolo Literally just ordered a Cream Buffer kit (based on the Cornish G2 buffer apparently) from Fuzzdog, kinda wish I'd gone with this for it's small form factor though :frown: 

I'm sure the Fuzzdog one will do the trick though, probably stick it underneath my board anyway.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Buffer rhymes with fluffer

Ehehhehhehhehhehe XD

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

That buffer circuit looks fine. I doubt you would hear any difference using the 5 times cheaper TL072 instead of the OP275?

But what really bugs me is the LED circuit! It draws about twice the current of the chip! If you get a lucky bag of LEDs you will surely find one with more than adequate brightness at one tenth the current, then R6 becomes 10 or 12k. If you are REALLY clever you can incorporate the LED in the 1/2 rail splitter chain.

To be fair the text does say you don't really need an indicator.

Dave.