Esquire wiring help

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I’ve bought a brand new pickup, and it’s exactly the same problem. The humbucker is in the back position now as it should be, but I’m not getting anything in the front position still. 
    Am I right in thinking that this could only now be either a switch fault, or a problem with the diagram?
    I’ve checked the switch over and it’s definitely making good contact (not sure what else could go wrong with such a simple design)...it was also brand new when I bought it, so I’m doubting that the switch is the issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    You really didn’t need to buy a new pickup...

If you’re not getting anything in the front position, try disconnecting the extra cap - it could be shorted. If it’s not that, it must be wired wrong since that should be the only difference between the front two positions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It was the easiest way for me to test if the pickup was at fault. 
    I’ve checked the wiring to the diagram about 20 times now just to be sure. It’s wired as the diagram. 
    I take it you’re talking about the cap on the switch? Do I remove it completely and try that?
    Thanks again
    fatboi said:

I’ve checked the wiring to the diagram about 20 times now just to be sure. It’s wired as the diagram. 
    I take it you’re talking about the cap on the switch? Do I remove it completely and try that?
    Yes. If the middle position works correctly and the front position doesn't, if you've wired it correctly then something must be shorting the signal to ground in the front position I think.

Just undo one end of it, whichever is easier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fatboifatboi Frets: 2
    edited September 2019
    I tried removing one side of the cap and I also removed it completely and still nothing.
    I have completely rewired it tonight and binned the push back wire so I can see what I’m doing easier.
    Here is a picture of what I’ve done. If nothing obvious is wrong then I will take it to a local music store this weekend, where I hear they do a lot of Fender repairs.

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/AREAFOTF/7CF52B2B-12C9-41A0-814C-3D7F166DA157_zpssviwuzq6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/9OZhcJw.jpg

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/CQdnTpz
    edited September 2019
    Ah... got it. The diagram is wrong, but for some reason I didn't spot it until I looked at the pic. Sorry!

Remove the black wire that runs from the top right to the bottom left of the switch.

Connect the cap on the switch where the wire was. (ie move the top end of it to the other side of the switch.) Hopefully the leads are long enough to do it without touching any of the other terminals.

If it won't reach, move the wire that comes from the pot from the top left to the bottom left terminal on the switch and connect the cap between the top left and top right. (Or from top left to the volume pot casing if it's easier.)

I think that should do it.

• No need to apologise. Thanks for persevering with this for me.
    I don’t think I understand what you’re saying though...

Do I just remove the wire that’s going diagonally from bottom left to top right completely?

Then replace it with the capacitor? (From bottom left to top right)
    fatboi said:

Do I just remove the wire that’s going diagonally from bottom left to top right completely?

Then replace it with the capacitor? (From bottom left to top right)
    Yes, exactly. Leave the other wire connected to the top left.

• Sorry, just realised when you’re taking about top left etc, you’re referring to the picture and not the diagram (the picture is taken the opposite way up to the diagram)!
    That’s where my confusion lay. I’ll try this tonight, thanks again!
  • fatboifatboi Frets: 2
    edited September 2019
    @ICBM thanks for all your help.
    Finally have sound in all 3 positions.

Now I can take it all back apart, and start painting etc lol. 

Cheers!!
    That’s great! I’m normally better at spotting wiring problems than that, I’m notorious for it in the shop...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably see it better in person than on a poorly taken photo!

Thanks again!!