Olympics - this particular bit of moronic expectation is getting on my nerves

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
Twice on TV news reports yesterday I saw a reporter saying "we could get our first gold tomorrow with Chris Froome in the Men's road race", and today the BBC web site is leading with 'Can Froome take gold in todays road race"

The fact of the matter is that he is NOT the type of cyclist to win a road race. He can win a 3 week stage race, and he can do well in a time trial, but he is not the sort of cyclist to get in a breakaway on a flat course, and will not be anywhere in a sprint finish. Geraint Thomas, maybe, Cav if he was there ... a strong possibility in a sprint. Also, you can throw into the mix the fact that a cycling road race is one of the most random events possible in the Olympics, anyone could win. Having said that .... yes, there is a tiny percentage chance that Froome could win but the expectation is DUMB. It is getting on my t*ts to be honest.

Rant over, I'll get back in my cage now.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wisdom'd. Well said. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I'm guessing the journalists don't have the same insight you do though....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4990
    edited August 2016
    True, I'd say a Froome win is pretty unlikely.

Gee or Steve-O are much better prospects imo, but I'll not be holding my breath.

Still wide open as we speak.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Nasty crash for Richi Porte, broken collar bone?

Still not over yet!
  • Oof! Nibali and Henao down!

• Thomas gone too!!!
  • Van Avermaet looking good for it!
  • Van Avermaet looking good for it!
    And takes it!
  • Brilliant, beautiful scenery. Dramatic racing, and if you can win Classics and Tour stages, you can win at  the Olympics!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2892
    Watched nearly all of that on the red button.  Great race and great way of seeing Rio,  

• axisus said:
    Twice on TV news reports yesterday I saw a reporter saying "we could get our first gold tomorrow with Chris Froome in the Men's road race", and today the BBC web site is leading with 'Can Froome take gold in todays road race"

The fact of the matter is that he is NOT the type of cyclist to win a road race. He can win a 3 week stage race, and he can do well in a time trial, but he is not the sort of cyclist to get in a breakaway on a flat course, and will not be anywhere in a sprint finish. Geraint Thomas, maybe, Cav if he was there ... a strong possibility in a sprint. Also, you can throw into the mix the fact that a cycling road race is one of the most random events possible in the Olympics, anyone could win. Having said that .... yes, there is a tiny percentage chance that Froome could win but the expectation is DUMB. It is getting on my t*ts to be honest.

Rant over, I'll get back in my cage now.

Yeah, a better headline would be "Froome is NOT the type of cyclist to win a road race, but hey everyone please watch it and show your support anyway".

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    Overall, I'd tend to agree with the OP. But, a hilly course means a climber like Froome can stay in contention until near the end, and we know how he can gain valuable seconds on a descent. So their assumptions were not unreasonable.

Looks like the deep gutters on the side of narrow roads caused problems to several European pros more used to Alpine or Pyrenean descents.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    The BBC commentators said from the off that Froome was a rank outsider and our best was Geraint Thomas, at least it was more exciting than the utter ball kicking pain that was the Opening Ceremony 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I don't know anything about this but I did watch and interesting film about Bradley Wiggins earlier.