Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rip it up and start again....

What's Hot

Comments

• I suppose the most sensible thing in this situation would be to experiment with taking a few pedals off, start by playing straight into the amp and gradually add pedals one at a time, work out what you use most and enjoy most and sell the ones that aren't working. The idea of a mass sell-off does have a cathartic appeal, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Right... This might sound like a daft idea, but.... I'm currently a smoker looking to stop, and if I sold all my pedals, the incentive to stop smoking and use the money saved on gradually rebuilding a pedalboard would be HUGE. Sounds daft, but might just work. Cigarettes or delay & reverb... At least I'd be serving a medically healthy addiction instead.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Right... This might sound like a daft idea, but.... I'm currently a smoker looking to stop, and if I sold all my pedals, the incentive to stop smoking and use the money saved on gradually rebuilding a pedalboard would be HUGE. Sounds daft, but might just work. Cigarettes or delay & reverb... At least I'd be serving a medically healthy addiction instead.
    do it... it's public now so you have to :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591

not to start a love helix / hate helix debate. But it sounds good and no 'ripping velcro' noise to be heard.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Firstly, I wholeheartedly support your quest to quit smoking. I know it's hard, but the rewards outweigh the effort a thousandfold. I'd always choose reverb over cigarettes!

As regards the pedalboard, is there anything specific that you don't like about it, or just a nagging doubt it could be better? I don't know your full setup, but from what I remember, you have a Timeline and Big Sky, and I'd sell some relatives for medical experiments to get hold of those! It would be interesting to know what your setup is compared to the sounds you're hoping to achieve.

The thrill of the chase is exciting, I understand that. However, I think the rewards of getting stuck into a piece of gear and *really* understanding what it can do and how to get the best out of it are ultimately greater. I'm a fine one to talk though: I have a stupid amount of pedals and more rack gear than you can shake a stick at, yet I'm still scouring eBay for vintage digital delays. I have resisted the urge to pull the trigger though. So far!

I think that understanding the sounds in your head is key: not only what is used, but how it's used. Right from when I first became interested in guitar, I was just as fascinated by how the different noises were created. It's not always going to be easy getting the sounds you hear on records replicated with a pedalboard, or with multi-fx racks going into amplifiers. It's amazing just how different things sound by, for instance, recording a guitar part, then adding effects through a console or DAW. The signal paths can end up being quite complicated.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Work out how much you smoke per year then take a per day calculation.

Then work out which pedals you want.
    When number of days = cost of most desired pedal. Buy it. So long as you didn't smoke of course.

Oh and don't buy any other gear. Rewards only work if they are just that. Rewards. Not additions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10731
    JDE said:
    The pedal cycle is a problem I have.
    Try a motorbike :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best of luck with the cigs? Patches worked for me for a while, until I thought I was a big man after 10 weeks . A few years later I paid a guy £100 and got hypnotized. Weed-free over six years. Read Allen Carr's Easyway too
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Honestly I think it's time I just admit to myself, I love gear as much as I love making music. Even if I stopped making music overnight, I'd probably still dick about with gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Best of luck with the cigs? Patches worked for me for a while, until I thought I was a big man after 10 weeks . A few years later I paid a guy £100 and got hypnotized. Weed-free over six years. Read Allen Carr's Easyway too
    I've just picked up something shiny today that ISN'T a pedal. Going to give this vaporiser lark a go. Very nice so far.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I change my pedals every now and again, sometimes I'm chasing a sounds in my head.. Sometimes I just get too comfortable and used to the current sound, so I change it up. 

My current board has mostly been the same for over 12 months, and I gig every weekend. 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    regarding smoking, no one likes a quitter ;-)

do factor in that you might suddenly start eating a lot more 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    regarding smoking, no one likes a quitter ;-)

do factor in that you might suddenly start eating a lot more 
    This was the case for me.
    If I could go back I'd have started exercising a lot sooner than I did.

• I seem to remember I noticed flavours more when I stopped smoking too. Weight gain for me arrived a year later when I moved to a less-laborious job
  • It's a multi step process. 
    1) only play your complete current rig with a full band
    2) practice unplugged or even better acoustic
    3) delete your account on here, TGP and Huge Racks
    4) spend time outdoors or with loved ones 
    5) unsubscribe from That Pedal Show and any other guitar shows. 
    6) spend more time practicing and less time strumming an open A chord whilst endlessly cycling through presets/turning knobs
    7) make actual music. 
    8) go to live gigs and without looking try to identify at which point a guitarist engages a non true bypass pedal, reward yourself by putting £10 in a music find jar every gig you succeed. 
    9) after 12 months spend this find on new gear. 
    10) enjoy life music and food more. 

From memory you have at least 2 strymons and an H9 on your board, I'm pretty sure there is no sound you cannot get 90% nailed. 

Im on step 2........ 3 is a stumbling block. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    yup, being on gear pages is bad for the wallet.
  • Finding out today I'd have to find a new place to move to in the next 3-4 weeks (when I thought I'd sorted out a new place) has certainly focussed the mind away from gear.
  • @professorben All very very sage advice.

Have you tried (8) and, if so, how much money did you make?
  • @professorben All very very sage advice.

Few times, I'll be honest I could barely tell when the guitarist changed guitars......

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited August 2016
    @professorben All very very sage advice.

Few times, I'll be honest I could barely tell when the guitarist changed guitars......

You wouldn't notice - true bypass only refers to when the pedal is off 
      B)
    Stop crying, start buying