Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Relic'd Tweed Cabinets - Thoughts?

What's Hot
RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
in Amps tFB Trader
I've had over 30 enquiries in the past month from people wanting a relic'd Tweed cabinet with their builds. It's not something I've truly looked into before so I want to know, what are you own thoughts on the matter? I know that relic guitars can divide opinion and some people are prepared to pay a hefty premium for them, but I'm not overly sure there's a strong enough appetite for amps that look worn that would warrant me spending the time to develop a good technique.

I've spent the weekend having a go with a few ideas, and here's an oversized 5F1 cab with a light 'road worn' look (hate that term, think 'mildy gigged' is more appropriate). Decided against beer rings and fag burns on this one, but did have a go on my Tweed Pro build. I don't think I'd be interested in offering heavy relics, they'd be far too labour intensive but this level of wear is very achievable with an hour's work.

So, be honest, what do you really think of them, either in practice or just as a concept, and would you go for a relic option if there was one?

Cheers

Chris

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
Rift Amplification
Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
Brackley, Northamptonshire
www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878

I personally prefer a stained look rather than a distressed/relic look.  Unlike guitars where wood is hard and relic is still can be a smooth surface, a relic/distress cab meaning it will rip at the slightest wrong move and you will end up with bare wood.

Something like Salvage Customs’ zombie tweed look would be my personal preference, or like @4114effects did on mine where he placed a coffee cup for a fake stain to get that look but the actual material is still intact.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Coat of stained varnish will make it look like it's been in a smokey club for 50yrs
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    edited August 2016
    I quite like it, but then I like relic guitars too. I'm not sure I'd pay a large premium for it on an amp, but I think it looks cool, and saves me worrying about snagging the thing putting it in and out of a car!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    No coffee cup stains
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'm a fan of relic guitars - if done properly. I don't see why not have it as an amp finish if it's what people want and they are prepared to pay for it. I wouldn't want all my amps relic'd, but it would certainly suit some.

I also wouldn't pay attention to anyone who starts jabbering on about how relicing is terrible and why would any idiot want it etc etc. Business is business.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    You've missed the obligatory fag burns, Glass/Brass slide marks, ashtray and JD/beer bottle rings. Just think of the song Layla whilst your relicing it and it should invoke the correct vibe!

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Yes I agree with some of the above. I prefer a stained look rather than the anaemic look. Lazy J20 is the perfect staining colour for me. Personally I too hate the 'road worn' look as it never looks real or just looks 'overdone'. However, my Les Paul is authentically worn by myself just playing it a lot over the years and it looks great :)

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    I absolutely love relics of ANY type.... I do prefer the Lazy J stained look personally
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited August 2016 tFB Trader
    I think a battered tweed amp is possibly the coolest looking backline ever.

I'd say go for it, it's certainly a selling point for many.

I personally think the Lazy J stain is too much, it has its own distinct look but it doesn't look aged to me, I prefer less lacquer/stain (the very first J20's had this). I just picked up an early J40 that has been well gigged and that is starting to look cool IMO.

I think the key @RiftAmps is to try and make sure the stain/aging is not uniform. Most of those old tweeds had various stains and water marks, not one solid stain like the Lazy J's etc.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited August 2016
    Hmmm....

I think that Lazy J stained tweed look  tries rather too hard. 

It's got the air of a well-used flasher mac about it (i.e. funny looking)  as opposed to say a genuinely well used Marshall which has more of a 'lived-in leather jacket' feel. 

Personally speaking OP, I think the example in your pics looks fine. The shiny,  faux nicotine/ JD stained tweeds aren't, although I accept some may like it. 
  • tone1 said:
    No coffee cup stains
    Years ago when I went to buy my Matchless (Which was a huge outlay back then) I arrived and the dude had his steaming coffee cup perched on the amp..... I was a bit freaked out tbh.
    Soon as I had it, it was Beer bottles and pints =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited August 2016

Probably not what you want but I always liked this:

(Fender blues junior 80 proof)

I also wonder if there's some sonic advantage to it - Tolex must be sound dampening to some degree...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291

Probably not what you want but I always liked this:

(Fender blues junior 80 proof)

I also wonder if there's some sonic advantage to it - Tolex must be sound dampening to some degree...

Only if it's covering the speaker. :)

• I say do it for the business. But I think it's daft. 

I try really hard to keep my gear in good nick and it "relics" very fast. I envy these magic people who need to pay for the privilege of having pre worn gear, I'd rather mine stay nicer, but it never does. 

Today, I glued down a rip in the tolex of my amp. I suppose I should have made the rip bigger and spilt some coffee on it for good measure ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited August 2016 tFB Trader

I built this a few years back, and it's been on various forums etc, but no-one has ever asked me to make another one. Of course, that might be because it's no good!! :)

It's a 5E3 Deluxe with 6L6s for a bit more headroom.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Best thing for varnishing a tweed amp ? Ronseal clear coat with a hint of oak? 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:

Agreed.

I feel that I should say that before getting into this, I wasn't a fan of relic'd cabinets at all but after seeing in the flesh how they look (and smell) I now really like them.

miserneil said:
    I personally think the Lazy J stain is too much, it has its own distinct look but it doesn't look aged to me, I prefer less lacquer/stain (the very first J20's had this). I just picked up an early J40 that has been well gigged and that is starting to look cool IMO.

Again, agreed.

I stain the cabinets anyway, but not to the level that Jesse does. This relic'ing is on top of that.
    I've been looking at other relics online and some are crap, whilst some are really good. I think the key is to offer something that doesn't look like a secondary school woodshop project.

For those that haven't already asked by PM, it'd be a £30-40 premium depending on the size of the amp.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    RiftAmps said:
    miserneil said:

Agreed.

I feel that I should say that before getting into this, I wasn't a fan of relic'd cabinets at all but after seeing in the flesh how they look (and smell) I now really like them.

miserneil said:

Again, agreed.

I stain the cabinets anyway, but not to the level that Jesse does. This relic'ing is on top of that.
    I've been looking at other relics online and some are crap, whilst some are really good. I think the key is to offer something that doesn't look like a secondary school woodshop project.

For those that haven't already asked by PM, it'd be a £30-40 premium depending on the size of the amp.

Jesse's stains do look great on stage of the bands I've seen using them though. I guess it's all a personal taste when it comes to relic'n which might be hard to move on if one decides to sell. Unless it really is an old amp which then it would be expected to be tattered rather than perfect condition. Which would be unbelievable if not and could be seen as a possible fake.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927

Chris,

I think you'd make a fortune and clean up. I reckon it's a fantastic idea.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @RiftAmps @hotpickups for total pedantry, Jesse doesn't stain his cabs anymore (he did build and stain the very first ones though) they come pre-stained from Mojotone in the US.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom