My trip to Andertons today

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
I'm lucky enough to work about 15 mins from Andertons so popped in during my lunch break today.

Had been meaning to try some of the compact Victory amps for ages, so that's what I did.  Had the V30, BD1 and Kraken.

Obviously I didn't have that much time to play each so didn't play with many settings.  Played each through a 2x12 victory cab with Creambacks.

Tried the V30 first.

These seemed to be universally slated when victory started but I thought this amp sounded great!  All settings on noon, the clean was lovely (admittedly quite bright) and the overdrive channel had more gain than you could need.  9 o'clock gave a really nice rock crunch.  Overall felt the amp had great presence and sounded very similar to my Cornford MK50.  I reckon it would sit nicely in a band mix.

Then tried the BD1.  Just dreadful.  I couldn't get any combination of the controls to sound anything other than mushy.  Just sounded like the sound had a blanket over it.  Maybe I was doing something wrong...

Then the Kraken.  This was the amp I had most hopes for as everyone seems to love them.

Struggled with this a bit as well though.  Unlike the BD1 I could tell there were some good tones but seemed to either need more work to find them or maybe more volume to open the amp up a bit.  Was just missing a bit of clarity to my ears at the volume I was playing.

General thoughts on the amps... they are ridiculously loud!!  Even in the single ended modes, the volume does;t really seem to go down.  I also didn't like the low power mode on any of the amps.

Just a few thoughts for anyone interested.  If I get one it will be a V30.  Although an MJW of some sort for similar money would still be a better buy!  Can I deal with the 7/8 month wait time though...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    CHrisP86 said:

Then the Kraken.  This was the amp I had most hopes for as everyone seems to love them.

Struggled with this a bit as well though.  Unlike the BD1 I could tell there were some good tones but seemed to either need more work to find them or maybe more volume to open the amp up a bit.  Was just missing a bit of clarity to my ears at the volume I was playing.
    No work required - just volume. These aren't home amps, by any stretch.

If you were missing clarity...were you using the Gain II channel? Gain I is where the clarity's at, and it gets amazingly filthy with high-ish output pickups. I only use Gain II for solos, to be honest; I like my rhythm tones more "hi-fi".
    CHrisP86 said:

General thoughts on the amps... they are ridiculously loud!!  Even in the single ended modes, the volume does;t really seem to go down.  I also didn't like the low power mode on any of the amps.

Yep, there's certainly no mode on the Kraken which is playable at home volume even through a 1x12". Once you get the master up above 2, the differences in the modes become very apparent.

I did accidentally play a whole gig in 15W mode, and didn't notice.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Time was against me a bit and I probably didn't give the Kraken enough time (or volume!).

Yes, I probably am thinking of Gain II.  
  • I've tried and heard @Vaiai's V30 and it's fab. 
    More gain than I'd need but very good. And yeah, loud! Apparently the volume taper is a touch too sensitive..

I never tried the low power mode, shame it didn't sound as good. 
  • I'd wait for the MJW. That's what I'm doing, anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    You should have taken an A4 piece of card with "Hello Mum" printed on it, and wandered around for a bit........
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    CHrisP86 said:
    I'm lucky enough to work about 15 mins from Andertons 
    Guildford traffic is indeed a delight to be enjoyed as often as possible.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    I'm in Andertons this Sunday afternoon, it could be expensive ;)
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Bite the bullet and wait for the MJW I did and it was worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I really liked the bd1! I do use quite a bright guitar though. I did think the firm factor was perhaps a little too small, even and inch taller and wider it would have looked better
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    I see they have now selling Milkman amps. Keen for hear if anyone plays one, particularly keen of a comparison with a Tone King Falcon. Assuming time allows off course. 
  • The last two times I went to Andertons there were groups of people taking photos of the shop front. Has it become a tourist attraction?

Living in Woking, it's very local and I'm in there more than once a month.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I am saddened that the BD-1'didt sound good as I have been really looking forward to trying one out. The v30 and kraken are both great amps.
    The sort of shop to avoid at weekends,I want last Saturday and it was a bloody nightmare tbh, serves me right, I usually go guitar shopping in the week ;)

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    Evildurka said:
    I am saddened that the BD-1'didt sound good as I have been really looking forward to trying one out. The v30 and kraken are both great amps.
    I think the quality of tone that you get from the BD-1 is entirely dependent on the pedals you put in front of it. That's one very big reason that I didn't buy one; I hate doing the pedal-swapping dance.
    <space for hire>
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I was expecting it would be like a tiny terror but better
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robt1291robt1291 Frets: 77
    @ally - The milkman's are great amplifiers. The Dairy air is phenomenal and where to start with the creamer? It's the love child of a Princeton and a 5e3. Worth every penny. Kills the TK in every way for me
  • TK???

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Tone King.
    It would have to be bloody special to make me think of trading my Tone King Sky King, still makes me smile every time I use it 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    Did you see Chappers?