That moment of sorrow when a speaker dies :(

CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
A 36 year old G12-65 that sounded fantastic, thick, well broken in, that I've just used to record most of an album I'm working on.

At first a little volume drop, then horrible crackling, and now the voice coil is rubbing. Could re-cone it but it'll never sound like it did.

RIP brave speaker.  :'(
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nooooooooo. Did you take any impulses of it?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Nope.  :/

I still have the other one, it's just a shame. I wasn't even using it that loudly when it died.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    :(

The glues in these old speakers are getting very brittle now. Probably the voice coil has come loose on the former and is jamming in the coil gap.

The good news is that they lasted long enough that they became quite sought-after and Celestion finally got around to making new ones that sound at least in the same ballpark - and will probably become more so with age.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

These being the heritage g12-65s you can get now?
    Cirrus said:
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Cirrus said:
    Yes.

Probably the nicest speaker I've heard for general guitar playing. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    ICBM said:
    Cirrus said:
    Yes.

Probably the nicest speaker I've heard for general guitar playing. 
    I've got one in a 1 x 12 cab.  It is a good speaker.  I've probably not played it enough to get it really well broken in though.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232047264701?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Problem Solved :) Still a pain, but assuming these work ok all will be well with the world.
    Good find. You can probably sell the empty cabs to someone looking for a cheap project for a lunchbox head as well - they don't look too bad.

edited August 2016
    There we go. Hope they like being in the same box. Sounding good, actually if anything a little brighter than the two Marshall sticker ones that were in there before, but also a bit punchier down low. They looked more lightly doped than the Marshall ones.

Also, I will murder whoever at Mesa decided to use those bloody nuts to hold the speakers on. Absolute pain to get off if you don't have the right tool.