transporting a mark 4 boogie

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991

just thinking of buying a mark 4 from England and the guy is not keen tae pack and post himself, so if I volunteered tae organise the posting is there a safe and reliable way tae go about this.....what about the cost too?

anyone? 

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    @Cabicular has one that he's been talking about selling… and is in Scotland :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991
    there maybe a bargain afoot ICBM....if it falls through I may contact Cab......thanks :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited August 2016
    Given their weight, it might be easier (and cheaper) to move to England....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :)
    tae be or not tae be
    any other thoughts folks?
    tae be or not tae be
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    For a life changing amp like this, I would not even consider trusting it to someone I don't know. If it's doable in a day, I'd drive over to pick it up personally. If not, I'd book a hotel near by, take the missus and make a holiday of it.

How far away is it from you?
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited August 2016
    Maynehead said:
    For a life changing amp like this, I would not even consider trusting it to someone I don't know. If it's doable in a day, I'd drive over to pick it up personally. If not, I'd book a hotel near by, take the missus and make a holiday of it.

How far away is it from you?
    TBH that is good advice - if it's got the EV like mine then the amp weights a truly stupid amount - I have shipped mine in its flight case but it was over the single person lift weight which was 32KG (from memory I *think*).

Fantastic amp though, but I'd invest in casters
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Mine has the EV and It came with castors
    bloody still heavy
    nearly as heavy as the Bad Cat
    They're just hilariously heavy - not quite as much as a Trem-o-verb, but close... and given that they're literally half the size, they feel like they're made of uranium or something.

Personally I wouldn't ship an amp this heavy - the potential for internal damage due to its own inertia if it gets dropped is very high. I know I'm paranoid about couriers in general, but something like this is at the top of the list for ending badly, no matter how well-made they are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I fired it up last night and actually managed to get some usuable sounds reasonably quickly

It still has far too many controls on the front and far too many push pull pots to add to the confusion. I also couldn't work out where the reverb was coming from as there are no front panel controls but there is some bollocks round the back for it.

It's pretty much 3 amps where 1 would do
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Cabicular said:
    I fired it up last night and actually managed to get some usuable sounds reasonably quickly

It still has far too many controls on the front and far too many push pull pots to add to the confusion. I also couldn't work out where the reverb was coming from as there are no front panel controls but there is some bollocks round the back for it.

It's pretty much 3 amps where 1 would do

Yup - I've never, that I can remember, ever used the 2nd channel - and they are a total mare to dial in between the odd control layout and the general skittishness of Mark series boogies!

The MkIV has a really stupid arrangement with the mid and bass being shared between R1 and R2 - so you can't have scooped Fendery cleans and middy Marshally crunch at the same time (not that you can get anything Marshally out of R2 anyway really) - a fault only finally fixed with the MkV.