courtesy adaptor question/problem

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

I am gonna need tae run 3 pedals from the courtesy adaptor outlet on the PP2+

I have a two gang strip that now needs replacing....am I right in thinking that I could buy a bog standard 4 way / gang strip and just remove the standard plug from it and install my "kettle type" socket on the end...is it that simple?

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/hahavishnu/001_zpstjjq0hzd.jpg

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/hahavishnu/006_zps0sgynx1v.jpg

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/hahavishnu/003_zps4vij99uc.jpg

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited August 2016
    That will be fine. Why not just use a single adaptor with a one spot daisy chained to the three pedals?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    3 pedals are 9vs and 12 vs and different draws and so on.....
    tae be or not tae be
    so I could just wire up that kettle plug type thing on tae the end of a 4 way extension cable.........just remove the 3 prong plug socket and attach my own ?
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    If you're going to fit an IEC plug to a 4-gang extension, make sure the fuse in the holder (if it has one) is 3A, not 13 - you could use a 10A with an IEC plug, but the courtesy outlet is not rated for as much as that. In theory it should be a 1A fuse, but they're harder to get and a 3A should be safe enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

the holder?

inside the IEC plug.........?  nothing in there Bro!

tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:

the holder?

No, in the 4-gang. Good ones often have a fuse holder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM

would you suggest that I remove the 13 amp and replace with a 3 amp ICBM if indeed it has one of course?

tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:

would you suggest that I remove the 13 amp and replace with a 3 amp ICBM if indeed it has one of course?

Yes. Just in case you somehow forget and try to use the last 13A socket on the strip (or anyone else does, at a gig etc) to connect something which might overload the PP2.

I'm actually not sure what the limiting factor inside the PP2 is - you would think that the two sockets would just be connected together, so there would be no reason for a rating as low as 200W - but it's possible it goes via some fairly thin PCB traces.

thanks  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    edited August 2016
    ICBM said:
    hootsmon said:

the holder?

No, in the 4-gang. Good ones often have a fuse holder.

"good ones have a fuse holder" you say...if the 4 way gang I buy does not have an iternal fuse and i  remove the only other fuse in the device (the plug) is that safe ICBM?

it's how I am using just now BTW (2 way c/w IEC plug) pic above

@ICBM

tae be or not tae be
    It's safe as long as you don't try to draw too much current through the PP2… that's the risk.

If there's no fusing downstream, the best practice is to fit the PP2's power cable with a 1A fuse. The problem is that it's not a hardwired cable, so you could then use a 13A fused one with it, and plug something else with high current draw into the extension cable - meaning that the PP2 will have to support a through current of up to 13A, which will most likely damage it. Obviously this is a bit of a theoretical risk rather than a practical one if you're careful with your own gear and always use it correctly - but you're essentially defeating the protection of having the correct fuse in every plug.

edited August 2016

@ICBM ; so you're saying it's fine without a fuse as long as I don't stick my refrigerator in there?

another wee technical question for ICBM......my Kingsley pedal requires at least 5oomA draw ....is it safe to use a 1 amp power supply adaptor with it?

tae be or not tae be
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    Or that big fan you use on stage to get your 80s rock look.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    :)
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:

another wee technical question for ICBM......my Kingsley pedal requires at least 5oomA draw ....is it safe to use a 1 amp power supply adaptor with it?
    Yes, as long as it's the right voltage and well-enough regulated that it doesn't exceed the rated voltage when only loaded to half its capacity. (Almost all modern power supplies will be.)

This used to be a problem with old high-capacity power supplies with no real regulation - they could rise to about 1.5 times the intended voltage when run at very light loads, ie 13.5V from a "9V" supply...

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I've been asking a similar question at my DIY stores whether a power strip with a female kettle plug exists and the unanimous reply is that it isn't compliant with regulations (female on both ends). Having seen similar on pedalboards with a female kettle plug built into the board, I assumed it was possible. Shorting my gear is a worry though. What would you recommend I buy? I'd need 3 points to run a vibe, gigrig generator, and ehx hot tubes. 
    lukedlb said:
    I've been asking a similar question at my DIY stores whether a power strip with a female kettle plug exists and the unanimous reply is that it isn't compliant with regulations (female on both ends).
    That's because you need a *male* IEC plug. A female one would be no use because it would need to plug into a male one, which would thus have exposed live pins, which is where the non-compliance comes in.

As long as the source is always the female connector, it will be safe from that point of view - although that still isn't a guarantee that it will be legal, or safe from a current-rating point of view.

lukedlb said:

What would you recommend I buy? I'd need 3 points to run a vibe, gigrig generator, and ehx hot tubes. 
    A standard 4-way extension cable to mount on your pedalboard which you plug everything into.

I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier for Hootsmon either :).