Celestion gold for Dr Z Maz 18?

What's Hot
EardsEards Frets: 10
I have just acquired this amp and a I am really happy with it. It currently has the celestion GTH30 anniversary speaker in.

Anyone have any experience of speaker change here and knowing if it is worth upgrading to the celestion gold speaker? I play indie rock, classic rock and funk.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• garfygarfy Frets: 144
    Z talk is your best source of knowledge on all things Z. 
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Blues and Golds certainly seem to be the favourite amongst Z heads, though I found the Z branded speakers good too.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Jordan Humber had a Maz 38 for sale here and I think that had a Gold in it, so you could ask him if you can find the ad. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • EardsEards Frets: 10
    Thanks chaps - I will use your advice! 
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    Greenback or creamback sound killer in a maz the amp improved drastically when I took the anniversary speaker out. Fantastic amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    edited August 2016
    I've used a Maz 18 for years and have tried V30s, anniversary, Greenbacks (various) and a Blue. I liked the anniversary least of all. I found the blue made the amp more Vox-like and the Greenbacks more Marshally (as you'd probably expect.) Worth experimenting because a speaker change has a significant effect on the Maz's voicing. Personally, my favourite for the Maz 18 is the Dr Z 10s, either in a 2x10 or a 4x10. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Jordan Humber had a Maz 38 for sale here and I think that had a Gold in it, so you could ask him if you can find the ad. 
    Yes, that's right (amp still for sale, btw). I replaced the stock G12H30 in my Maz38 after about 9 months, with the C-Gold. Never regretted it, and the Gold just seemed to bring out more of all the frequencies I wanted to hear in the Maz. I seem to recall it took a little while to break-in, but after a few months of pretty heavy use sounded great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom