Best mods or rebuild for a Laney LC15

What's Hot
ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
What are they? Simple, difficult or complete rebuild, all ideas welcome please!

Or should I just sell it?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    What don't you like about it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Just a bit boring. Adding a speaker out is most obvious as the stock speaker is a bit dull. Seen some mods to make it more Marshall-like but they date from about 10 years ago so wondered if anyone had newer ideas?
  • Upgrade the speaker and be amazed at how good it sounds. 
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Had quite a few in for repairs / service over the years and agree with comments above, most people changed the HH Invader speaker. Shame it is not the R model, as they give you a few more options sound wise. Biggest problem was failed output transformers, but clearly yours is fine.
  • Cool amps - Anyone remember the wanking demo Steve Vai did on one for guitarist, oh, 20 years ago?!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    DJH83004 said:
    Had quite a few in for repairs / service over the years and agree with comments above, most people changed the HH Invader speaker. Shame it is not the R model, as they give you a few more options sound wise. Biggest problem was failed output transformers, but clearly yours is fine.
    I had to replace the output transformer!  ;)
  • ColsCols Frets: 7114
    An easy one is replacing the speaker and revalving.  I put a Jensen P10R in and it improved matters considerably.

if you have the LC15R with the option to use an extension cab, a decent 2x12 utterly transforms it.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Yep speaker change and new valves helped. Mine blew the transformer too.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    There's not much more you can do beyond a speaker and/or valve change. They're not a particularly easy amp to mod, and I wouldn't use the cabinet/chassis/transformers as the basis for a new circuit because they're just not very good quality.

They sound pretty good as they are - speaker aside, if it has the HH - so just enjoy it for what it is, and if it's not doing it for you, sell and buy something else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom