Is Being Left Handed Genetic ?

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1760

Being left handed myself I've often wondered if it's genetic. Looking online some say it is some say it isn't.

Apparently 10% of the population are left handed, however on my father's side of the family it's currently at least 50% (I've no idea about a few people as they're no longer with us so guessed that they're probably right handed). This would suggest it is genetic.

Has anyone here looked into this and could possibly explain in a way where I don't require a doctorate in brain function to understand?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Your sample is waaaaaaaaay too small to be used as any kind of evidence, for anything.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    edited August 2016
    It is believed to be genetic, but not down to one single genetic locus (specific positions of a gene's DNA sequence).
    If both your parents are left handed you have roughly a 25% chance of being left handed yourself.

There are thought to be around 40 genetic loci that contribute towards an individuals handedness, which can be right, left, cross dominant (changing hands for different tasks- this is what I am), ambidextrous or ambilevous (the opposite of ambidextrous).

• TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Left handed people are sinister.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Troy said:
    Nice work.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    In the Irish language Citeog means left handed. AFAIK, the word Citeog translates to Awkward.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Troy said:

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11638
    tFB Trader
    Sinister actually just means left handed - but with the negative connotations that superstitious fools from the middle ages put onto the phenomenon.

sinister
    ˈsɪnɪstə/
    adjective
    adjective: sinister
    1. 1
      giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen.
      "there was something sinister about that murmuring voice"
      synonyms:menacingthreateningominousforbiddingbalefulfrighteningeeriealarmingdisturbingdisquietingdarkblack, suggestive of evil, evil-lookingMore
      • evil or criminal.
        "there might be a more sinister motive behind the government's actions"
    HERALDRYarchaic
    of, on, or towards the left-hand side (in a coat of arms, from the bearer's point of view, i.e. the right as it is depicted).
    Origin

late Middle English (in the sense ‘malicious, underhand’): from Old French sinistre or Latin sinister ‘left’.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    lloyd said:
    Your sample is waaaaaaaaay too small to be used as any kind of evidence, for anything.
    It is evidence of an insufficient study
    Sinister actually just means left handed - but with the negative connotations that superstitious fools from the middle ages put onto the phenomenon.

sinister
    ˈsɪnɪstə/
    adjective
    adjective: sinister
    1. 1
      giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen.
      "there was something sinister about that murmuring voice"
      synonyms:menacingthreateningominousforbiddingbalefulfrighteningeeriealarmingdisturbingdisquietingdarkblack, suggestive of evil, evil-looking; More
      • evil or criminal.
        "there might be a more sinister motive behind the government's actions"
    2. 2
      HERALDRYarchaic
      of, on, or towards the left-hand side (in a coat of arms, from the bearer's point of view, i.e. the right as it is depicted).
    Origin

late Middle English (in the sense ‘malicious, underhand’): from Old French sinistre or Latin sinister ‘left’.
    Yeah, but Troy done it better.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I am right handed but I think my brain is wired wrong. I can only shoot rifles/arrows etc with a left handed stance. Right handed feels totally wrong.

I can actually use both hands pretty well, only complex stuff like writing is beyond my left hand. I use whichever hand is nearest for most tasks.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324
    I'm left handed and my wife is left handed, but our two daughters are both right handed. 

I'm also quite sinister, but not very awkward. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Paedophiles are three times more likely to be left handed or ambidextrous and that's scientific fact as per Dr James Cantor's research.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    From what I remember looking at handedness on my degree (million years ago)  there is a wide range and tests you can do to see where you are on the scale. The whorl (spll?) on the top of your head is a strong indicator of it; IIRC only very left handed men have their bollocks the other way round to normal (I can't currently check but the right one is higher in most men I think). 
    I don't know if there is a Darwinian purpose to handedness. 
    octatonic said:
    It is believed to be genetic, but not down to one single genetic locus (specific positions of a gene's DNA sequence).
    If both your parents are left handed you have roughly a 25% chance of being left handed yourself.

There are thought to be around 40 genetic loci that contribute towards an individuals handedness, which can be right, left, cross dominant (changing hands for different tasks- this is what I am), ambidextrous or ambilevous (the opposite of ambidextrous).

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    This thread is just about wanking isn't it?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    lloyd said:
    This thread is just about wanking isn't it?
    Ergo my being left handed means I'm a sinister wanker ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm right handed but pee with my left

My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    holnrew said:
    I'm right handed but pee with my left

I'm pretty sure it should come out your knob.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    edited August 2016
    I'm left handed but do most things right handed, apart from writing. I play guitar right handed, hold a cricket bat or golf club right handed - I'll stop there with the details.

Getting back to the OP, my brother is left handed but does most things left handed. My grandfather was left handed. I'm not sure if it's genetic. It might be a coincidence.

I'm an engineer by profession and many of the people I work are left handed. I think there's a link between being left handed, maths and engineering - combined with a complete lack of fashion sense.

It's not a competition.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    *yawn*