Boosting a muff with a Klone...thing of beauty!

What's Hot
So we all know how great a booster that a Klon(e) can be, yesterday I tried it with my pretty much unboostable P-2 and wow!!! I've never been able to boost it with any other pedal, not without it muddying to a worthless pulp. But with my RYRA Klone, it sounds absolutely delightful. Full, crisp, cuts through better and still maintains that amazing tone. 

Also tried the Timmy to boost it, yesterday and wasn't so impressed. 

FYI, boosting as an EQ shaper after the muff.

Also tried the Buffalo TD-X (wasn't impressed) and the SS-3, again nothing. their more fuzzy though, to my ears. The Peacekeeper sounded fantastic with the Muffroom,  but not so great with the P-2.

Any other good boosts that you guys are using? Anyone else have any fun with a klon(e) and a muff?
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Never tried a Klone and Muff combo but I always boost my Suhr Riot Reloaded with my Shiba Drive Reloaded.  I only run the pedals through a Roland Cube Lite, because I don't gig, but I don't think the Riot Reloaded sounds that good on it's own.  However, when I boost it with the Shiba it sounds completely different.  It changes the tone quite a bit and really tightens it up.

That is my current favourite combo.  Some of my other favourites are:

Boss SD-1 > Boss OD-1X
    MXR Micro Amp Custom Shop > Suhr Riot
    MXR Badass Overdrive  > MXR Badass Distortion (the one with the bass, mid, and treb EQ on it).
    Suhr Rufus Reloaded > Riot

Boss DS-2 works as a fairly good booster into pretty much anything, but I'm not keen on the tone of it when used as a stand alone distortion unit.
  • After a year of using a Klone as a low gain overdrive I now realise I much prefer it as a clean boost, adds a slight thickness and punch to the sound which is great
  • I agree @jonnygreentrees!

@bingefeller I used to love my Suhr Riot, great pedals mate.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I agree @jonnygreentrees!

@bingefeller I used to love my Suhr Riot, great pedals mate.

Yeah the Riot is class - I have the normal and reloaded.  I like them both, although the reloaded has something about it the I like better.  

I love boosting pedals with the Keeley Java Boost too, I find it works well with anything.  
  • Muff into ds-2 works okay. I loved running a couple of muffs into a super hard on. 

Which seemed the wrong way around, I suppose... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, nice

• Running a Big Muff through my Class A. Can either let the Muff lead the sound with lots of vol and sustain and just using The Class A (gain low/vol high) to add some eq and kind of notch the sound a bit. Or i juice the gain a bit more on the Class A and dial the sustain right back on the Muff (engage tone wicker) and use the Muff as a dirty booster in the Class A- gets sime nice, crunchy drive going.
  • pj310pj310 Frets: 41
    @Jonathanthomas83 how does the Klone work with your muffroom? Is it quite high headroom? In my fairly limited experience I've found that any drives with fairly low headroom just sound like a mushy mess after the muffroom
  • I have a purple spec muff and a Frederick king of klone. I was blown away by the thick distortion they produce with the klone boosting the muff. You can even get towards chugga chugga territory although the noise! Definitely need a gate
  • @AxeWieldingBastard I use those settings too, sounds blissful!

@pj310 Unfortunately I sold the Muffroom before I got my Klone. However, if you're able to try a Peacekeeper with it, it will sound incredible, guaranteed! The Klone is nice and transparent with a shit tonne of headroom (can barely put volume above 8 o clock), so I'd imagine it'd work perfectly well with the Muffroom.

@mattismetal, Muffs are generally noisy anyway, but I have to say, I've never noticed more noise when the Klone is engaged.

• The king of klone is two klone stacked so that's probably where the noise comes from. How does the ...cloud compare to other muffs regarding noise. I've heard it's pretty quiet
  • @mattismetal hmm, good question, I don't remember a problem with noise, it was a stunning pedal, like all Thorpy's stuff.

@mattismetal the cloud has a very low noise floor for the amount of dirt it puts out.

@Jonathanthomas83 I have the Peacekeeper and you're not wrong it sounds brilliant with it. Out of interest how did you set yours while using it as a muff booster?
  • @pj310 it's a really nice OD. I put it after the Muffroom and set it on its own first, slight volume boost, if any. Slightly on the edge of breakup but not too much gain. Treb and Bass at around 12 o clock and mids to taste, I usually boost the mids though, so past 12 o clock for me usually. Should sound sweet as a nut. Be sure to set the Muffroom correctly too. Hesitant to recommend settings as I can remember much beyond setting the treble higher than the bass with vol and gain to taste.

@Jonathanthomas83 thanks, that's very similar to how I set it then, only thing I do slightly differently is I back off the treble and boost the bass on the muffroom. I then slightly compensate for it by backing both eqs off slightly behind noon on the peacekeeper, but the treble slightly higher to get some mids and treble back in post gain. I'll try your method when I get back to my rig :)
  • @pj310 I'm really unsure of the Muffroom settings, so go with what you think is best on that one :-)