Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What are your favourite recorded solid state amp tones?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    I'm amazed none of the metal heads have mentioned Dimebag...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    I'm amazed none of the metal heads have mentioned Dimebag...
    They have :) 

• PigknowsPigknows Frets: 39
    the smiths, the cure, the jam, the beat, buzzcocks, marillion (one of the best solo sounds ever), metallica, t rex, the sweet, feelgood, creedence, radiohead, queen... lots!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I always did like the sound of the King's X stuff!
    ZZ Top using SS amps is a revelation - is that true? They always sounded great!
    Yes it's true about ZZ Top.  Billy Gibbons has also used those solid state ZT amps on stage IIRC.  

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I've never heard a Pignose sound like this....

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    Has anyone mentioned Brian May?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Obvious ones are Wilko and Daniel Ash (and  I love that link,  that Ash heard Wilko playing stripped down randb and thought that's the tone I need for goth).  Some of the BB King stuff was on Lab amps although which recordings I don't know specifically.  Loads of afro pop on jc120s. Back to Clappo -  didn't he record some stuff using a Pignose?  Some of the Dominos stuff. 

I had  a brief period of thinking Akira Takasati was the next big thing in guitar so if nothing else the OP is a prompt to dig some of that stuff out again - gathering dust for decades in my mental music collection.  I don't think I ever knew what amps he used but his guitar designs ( the Killer brand?) were the result of,  err,  a unique vision. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Probably my favourite band ever, Welsh 80s post-punk legends Y Cyrff almost always played through two Peavey Bandits. I can't say for certain that they didn't use any other amps when they were in the studio, but all their records have that punchy clean tone which proved to me that you didn't need overdrive to sound exciting and edgy.

If they look familiar, Mark and Paul later went on to form Catatonia, and Mark had moved on to Marshall stacks (and a distorted sound) by then.
    Must be a Welsh thing. The few times I saw the stereophonics live Kelly used a peavey bandit. I'm guessing his transition to matchless wasn't instant 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2912
    Bit more modern, the guy from Gnarwolves uses a Marshall Mosfet amp, and if it's what they used on their studio stuff then it sounds awesome.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    I have a bootleg cd of The Smiths where Johnny Marr appears to be playing the entire set through a JC-120. Not a fan of that sound tbh, makes me think of coming home from school on Fridays in the 80s and watching The Tube for 3 hours. JC-120s everywhere!

I always thought Steve Albini's sound, at least in Big Black was a classic solid-state sound, although it was probably a Bassman mixed in with a Carvin power amp somehow. Plus the Harmonic Percolator of course.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    edited August 2016
    Modelling amps do not count nor do hybrid amps.  Has to be 100% solid state amp.

For me, it has to be Ty Tabor's Lab amp on the first four King's X albums.  
    I never knew that Ty Tabor used Lab Series amps. I used an L5 for years, but it's long gone now.
    It's not a competition.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    Anything on Def Leppard's Hysteria (all done with a Tom Scholz Rockman)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........