How nice it would be to own an old Porsche . . .

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 396
    edited August 2016
    I love my 944 cabriolet,looks and drives great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    That's a fail then.

A proper Porsche has to be air cooled.
    Oh, you're not one of those are you :D 
    The air cooled engine is so much a part of what makes a vintage Porsche what it is not having it wouldn't make sense. 

• oddballoddball Frets: 248
    Why, have you magical powers able to distinguish between an air cooled and water cooled engine when driving one....?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    rlw said:

a combined speed of 65/70 mph.

Newton's 3rd law of motion means there isn't a combined speed in a crash
    My V key is broken
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735

The air cooled engine is so much a part of what makes a vintage Porsche what it is not having it wouldn't make sense. 

That and the shonky handling.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Muh

:)

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    holnrew said:
    rlw said:

a combined speed of 65/70 mph.

Newton's 3rd law of motion means there isn't a combined speed in a crash
    True but you know what I mean....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    When 996's are so cheap you should forget about the air cooled bollocks which makes no difference and get one.

Whoever said their handling is iffy doesn't know how to drive them. End of story.  I've had 9 996s/7/s, a 968, 4 boxsters, a Cayman and a Cayenne.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    Gassage said:
    When 996's are so cheap you should forget about the air cooled bollocks which makes no difference and get one.

Whoever said their handling is iffy doesn't know how to drive them. End of story.  I've had 9 996s/7/s, a 968, 4 boxsters, a Cayman and a Cayenne.

Only iffy at the extreme.  Try a ninety left at 120mph in 996 - preferafbly at North Weald where there's nothing to hit.

Or braking for Paddock Bend at Brands, about 20 metres after the braking point........................
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    rlw said:
    Gassage said:

Only iffy at the extreme.  Try a ninety left at 120mph in 996 - preferafbly at North Weald where there's nothing to hit.

Or braking for Paddock Bend at Brands, about 20 metres after the braking point........................
    Not even iffy then.

If you're turning in on the brakes, you don't know how to drive and you certainly don't know how to drive a 911 which requires an earlier brake in and an early out acceleration. Using the 911 squat is easy once you've mastered it, plus you've steering feel and accuracy unsurpassed.

A 911 is the Fender Strat of cars. It's the benchmark, the one every other car wants to be and nothing betters it in the real world.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage, we have never met and I respect your opinion but actually turning in ON the brakes is a good way to get the nose to turn in a bit more than normal in some circumstances.

However, did I mention turning in on the brakes?  No.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    oddball said:
    Why, have you magical powers able to distinguish between an air cooled and water cooled engine when driving one....?

Err yes, because they sound completely different.

Call me shallow but the noise is part of what makes a performance car special.
    The cooling has f**k all to do with the sound, that's a combination of the engine layout, displacement and exhaust. Air cooled 911's sound a different purely down to build of them (lower revs, carburetters as opposed to FI, less complex exhaust and manifold, single overhead cam etc)

The cooling has f**k all to do with the sound, that's a combination of the engine layout, displacement and exhaust. Air cooled 911's sound a different purely down to build of them (lower revs, carburetters as opposed to FI, less complex exhaust and manifold, single overhead cam etc)

tFB Trader
    993 is fuel injection isn't it?
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited August 2016
    I don't get it...the 'Sound' is shit.

Now get some.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    oddball said:

Last non injected 911 must have been about mid seventies on the 180bhp models.    Everything after that was injection including 3.2s, 964 and 993.

The ultimate 911 sound, to me, is a 935 with watercooled heads but aircooled barrels, on full throttle for about three miles and passing you at around 20 feet away while heading for top speed at about 230 mph.  Amazingly, the engine note doesn't change as you would expect but simply fades away over about a minute..
  • @Paul_C - That exact pic is the background on my laptop, it's a wonderful creation. I drove my friends 2012 911 C4S the other day, did about 30 miles in it, and it's an incredible machine... but the car Singer have created is too beautiful not to covet more :-)