which is worse for your hearing....

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
in ear phones or a set of cans @ the same volume?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    In ear phones because they don't block external noise so you crank them more. At the same volume though they'd do th same damage I assume.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Do you mean same volume on the player, or same 'apparent' volume to the listener?
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

Neither should do any permanent damage to your hearing... unless you crank the volume, in which case both will be bad for your hearing.

The main difference for me is the bigger and more natural "sound stage" you get from a larger driver of the headphones.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987

same volume on the player

I've noticed that there is more bass response and an apparent rise in volume with the cans....

tae be or not tae be
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    hootsmon said:

same volume on the player

I've noticed that there is more bass response and an apparent rise in volume with the cans....

That's just the sensitivity of the drivers, the cans may be more efficient, but not necessarily because they're cans. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    At the same dB level at the ear they will be equally bad. But if the cans are louder at the same player setting then the cans will be worse.

You can also generally get more absolute level with cans before distortion if the amp will produce enough power.

But distortion is potentially worse for your hearing than a clean sound at the same volume level, I think.

So it may work out about the same overall. The bottom line is that both can damage your hearing if you play them too loud for too long...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I'd guess that at the same dB level the in ear ones would be marginally worse as they're closer to the ear drum, and focused into the ear canal were some of the air pressure from the big cans would bounce off the bits of your ear around the ear canal... but this will be a very small distinction.

Personally I prefer isolating in-ear ones because I can turn the volume right down... so if I'm out and about it's in ear with good sound isolating ear buds.. 

Indoors I can isolate myself from noise better so I can then use big open over-ears and still turn the volume down and still hear it all...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28668
    ICBM said:

But distortion is potentially worse for your hearing than a clean sound at the same volume level, I think.
    IIRC it's more energy for the same perceived loudness, and more high frequencies.

However, while distortion does increase hearing damage, it's not a massive difference compared to clean at the same volume.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Transients (eg drums) are particularly bad for your hearing as you actually have a tiny muscle in your middle ear which reduces sound transmission to the inner ear, but it deals with more sustained sound better than transient noises
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987

are some of you guys familiar with the little sandisk mp3 ply?

you can reset the default audio tae "rest of the world" during set up and this brings the volume up a little from the way too low UK default..anyways ,my normal listening volume is 3 notches from full..Hooters says it's much too loud...whaddya all think?

tae be or not tae be