One for all you Marshall aficionados...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Totally agree with the guys above, mine doesn't sound harsh or bright though....vintage Greenies help :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    A Marshall 2203 head would be perfect. Match it up to a 2 X 12 g12m cab and you're there! 

The VM2266c is also an amazing amp. Aside from the JVM it's easily the best amp I think Marshall have brought out since the JCM800.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    lonestar said:

The VM2266c is also an amazing amp. Aside from the JVM it's easily the best amp I think Marshall have brought out since the JCM800.
    Sadly it's not as well-made and reliable as the JVM. It's also quite tricky to dial in at low volume, and the balance is hard to get right between the two dynamic ranges, in my experience. It does sound pretty good when it's cranked up though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    lonestar said:

Sadly it's not as well-made and reliable as the JVM. It's also quite tricky to dial in at low volume, and the balance is hard to get right between the two dynamic ranges, in my experience. It does sound pretty good when it's cranked up though.
    ....well I just bought the JVM410c in the classifieds. Just a really great deal I couldn't resist. I still want a JMP but going with the JVM this time. Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    babysnake said:
    ICBM said:
    lonestar said:

....well I just bought the JVM410c in the classifieds. Just a really great deal I couldn't resist. I still want a JMP but going with the JVM this time. Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it :)
    I don't blame you although i wouldn't be able to carry it these days.
    Great value for money though, well done.
  • I was having a look, after reading the good comments in this thread about the 2104 and found this one on reverb.com, looks pretty tidy, alright price... Thought i'd stick up a link incase anyone else was interested, it's in Clydebank. Here
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 848
    edited August 2016
    not relevant any more.
  • ICBM said:
    martinw said:
    babysnake said:

50w JMP Mk2 2x12 combo and early JCM 800 equivalents

This.

Easily the best sound, and reliable too.

That.
    You would expect the Vintage Modern to full-fill the criteria
    You would think so, but in practice it had far too many compromises in design and build quality.

Second choice would be the JCM900 MV MkIII, out of the ones listed. (*Not* the Dual Reverb model.) If you keep the gain low it does a passable older-Marshall sound, although it's not perfect.

The 6100 can sound good but is very complicated and has reliability issues, and the DSL is just best avoided really.

A possibly surprising late addition would be the JVM 50W model, that sounds quite good and seems quite reliable.
    wow I just watched a couple of demo's of the JVM 205c and in some of them it sounds really good.... and has all of the flexibility too.
  • ICBM said:
    martinw said:
    babysnake said:

This.

That.
    You would think so, but in practice it had far too many compromises in design and build quality.

Second choice would be the JCM900 MV MkIII, out of the ones listed. (*Not* the Dual Reverb model.) If you keep the gain low it does a passable older-Marshall sound, although it's not perfect.

The 6100 can sound good but is very complicated and has reliability issues, and the DSL is just best avoided really.

A possibly surprising late addition would be the JVM 50W model, that sounds quite good and seems quite reliable.
    Wow....I just watched a few JVM 205c demo's and in some of them it sounds really good. And all that flexibility too....
  • ICBM said:
    martinw said:
    babysnake said:

This.

That.

Wow....I just watched a few JVM 205c demo's and in some of them it sounds really good. And all that flexibility too....