Awesome cab going cheap on ebay, ends today.

Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
This is well worth grabbing if you live nearby. A beast of a cab:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302035189815?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ive got two myself. Superb build quality and very heavy, all thick plywood construction. This is exactly what people mean when they say you pay for the name and cosmetics with speaker cabs. Speakers aside, you will struggle to find a better built, or better sounding cab than this in my opinion, but watch how little it will sell for... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Even the speakers are good - any H-magnet Celestion models are, even though the G12H-50s are probably the least desirable of them. Also less likely to be blown than older G12H-30s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    This one is actually on my watchlist, and it's just down the road from me. It's pretty battered and i didn't really know if was any good so thanks for the heads up. :)

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited August 2016
    Well that one has been messed with a bit (grill, castor cups, speakers - all probably not original), maybe it really was owned by the damned? but it should still be a great sounding cab with the right speakers in it.

Doh, just noticed the woodwork is coming apart on one of the photos. You might have to reglue and nail all the joints before you use it...

Still, £32 for a quad of G12H-50's cant be bad.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Bygone_Tones said:

maybe it really was owned by the damned?
    I don't see any reason to doubt it!

Especially as it's been painted on with a brush, not a spray-can - makes it more likely to be old. The generally road-worn condition would probably be about right too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited August 2016
    It's an early 70's cab for sure. Mine are circa 72/73 and built the same apart from the grill and castor cups I mentioned. I've owned quite a few of these, and I know the internal bracing was different (less of it) later in the 70's. They also went to the marshall style plastic handles later too and ditched the piping channels on top.

I did see one on ebay a few years ago with the damned on the back, but it is possibly the same cab.       
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Went for £44
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    No one seems to want 4x12 cabs, I have had an old Crate 4x12  up for sale locally for £50 for months
  • £44 is a steal for that. The speakers are probably worth about £40 to £50 each if they are in decent condition. I didnt notice the damaged wood when I first posted the link, but it should be an easy repair. Open up the joints, reglue and clamp. Maybe bang a few nails in there too.

I paid a lot more than £44 for mine, although they are in mostly original condition.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited August 2016
    I used to hate the thought of 4 x 12's until I got one.  I don't gig though but at home they are surprisingly good when on castors.  It's still the easiest rig I have to get in behind and mess with the head and cabinet cables - just wheel it out from the wall a bit (timber floors in music room helps)