Show us your first proper electric guitar

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2014
    freakboy1610;124528" said:
    I had an Audition like this one. I think they sold them in Woolies but I got mine in 1984 for £15 from a teacher at school who was emigrating. Only one pickup worked and it sounded even worse than it looked but WTF it was an electric guitar and I didn't know any better. I sanded it down, sprayed it red and bought a nice red curly lead to match!

Yes - 

Lots of Teisco info here - Audition was Woolies own brand name for these Teisco amps and guitars - are now collectable...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Both bought in 86 /87 ish

My first 'proper' guitar was a black and white '86 Japanese Fender 57 reissue that I paid £135 for.  Luckily I had some serious mates rates and it was brand new from Soho Soundhouse.

It was so good I bought a sunburst one a few months later (which got caught in a house fire).  Bought that one via Loot from a guy in Hammersmith. Paid about £200 for it as it had a case.

Which is probably why I still gravitate towards Strats.

There are pictures of it somewhere around on this very forum.

Before that I had a load of old shite including an Encore and a Les Paul Custom plywood oar etc etc

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Did anyone say Avon Les Paul copy ? This was my Brothers 2nd guitar which I used to play a lot. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/bargoedboy/mewithavonlespaulcopy1978.jpg Sorry about the shirt but it was the 70's !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    DiscoStu;125030" said:
    So nobody had a Marlin Sidewinder???
    I had a Marlin. It was a black Strat-o-like called a Slammer.

I think it was third or fourth hand by the time I got it. Being a left hander and having next to no dough I did a Jimi Hendrix. No way did I sound like him sadly.

It weighed a ton. Curiously when I A/B'd it through my Tandy (!!!) practice amp against a real Strat, the Marlin was louder.

The pickups were so microphonic that you could sing through them. I once made the mistake of putting it through my Boss Heavy Metal pedal and turning all the controls up to max. The guitar sounded awful on that occasion but Radio Moscow came through great.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    JookyChap said:
    My first guitar was the red one on this sorry advert - £39 out of melody maker iirc

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/erikryman/Axe-Guitar-Advert.jpg
    Another red 'Axe' owner reporting for duty - bought the pack off a friend for £35 in ?1989. Here's a pic of me playing it in 1993, to the soundtrack of a guitar solo I recorded with it around that time.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    DiscoStu said:My first guitar was an Axe too, except mine was the first version. White with 'Axe' in big black writing across the body, it was a plywood abomination but it got me started! I think it was £89 from an advert in Kerrang and came with a tiny practice amp (probably 1W) whose tone can best be described as 'a bee in a jam jar'.
    My red Axe also had the Axe logo in big black writing, hence the Blue-Peter-style sticky black plastic lightning bolts you can see in the pic above
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited January 2014
    1st guitar and amp. Both long gone. I don't feel sentimental about the Roger Rossmeisl  guitar even though the neck was truly astonishing and played like B.....
    But I would love to still have that  amp today.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    depends what you define as "proper"   it will probably mean many things to many age-groups
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Cheer up you miserable bastard!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 2014
    serious question................what are the criteria that make it "proper" ?    known name ?   plays OK ?   giggable ? sellable ?

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • "proper" is in the eye of the holder. I started the thread with my Hohner. I started playing guitar on a dreadful acoustic but wanted to move on to an electric. It was a decent enough instrument for the mid 1980s so I deem it "proper". Some of the other instruments on the thread are clearly worse instruments but their owners deem them "proper".
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited February 2014
    A black Westbury Standard was my first 'proper guitar', but due to GAS, it's long gone, cost around £100 used at the time, another great guitar I should have kept. One on ebay atm pic/not mine.imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2014
    (web pic)

Thru Neck with Floyd Rose Bridge.

Real nice guitar that looking back I regret selling.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Hey @d8m, I'll bet it's hell getting up the stairs in your house...     ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Hey @d8m, I'll bet it's hell getting up the stairs in your house...     ;)
    Currently live on the third floor and there isn't a lift so coming back from the supermarket is always interesting :)

As for that pic though its actually just a pic of the net of the guitar as I don't have any pics of my own.

That said if the person who took this picture needs their stairs cleared of ill happily take the guitar of their hands!