Amp up loud and using the guitars volume.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @ICBM do you prefer attenuation to power scaling?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    shaunm said:
    @ICBM do you prefer attenuation to power scaling?
    Yes, much. I know a lot of people are the other way round though. So don't take that as definitive :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 762
    Trude said:
    Maynehead said:
    Have you tried doing the same but into a good dynamic OD pedal instead? That way you can keep the amp volume low and get the crunch from the pedal when you up the volume.
    Any specific recommendations for a pedal that does this well? Seems like the simplest solution on paper.
    I use my Timmy for this all the time - works especially well when feeding it 12v or more - I've found the amount of attenuating an attenuator needs to do to get properly saturated with the volume up makes the whole thing sound a bit fizzy and mushy - I never appreciated the role of a pushed speaker to smooth things out until recently!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    What attenuator, and what amp?

They can vary a lot, and some combinations work better than others.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 762
    edited August 2016
    ICBM said:
    What attenuator, and what amp?

They can vary a lot, and some combinations work better than others.
    True enough - it's an MJW v6 at about 15 watts with a Dr Z Brakelite and Cannabis Rex Speaker. Lots of preamp gain on tap which can confuse things as it gets fizzy quickly but there is a sweet spot to get what you're describing. Having tried many, many combinations, it's one of the best I've tried but I also had great success with a Dr Z Carmen Ghia... 

Id is also add that your guitar has to be capable - low output single coils are all well as good but I struggle with them in this setting - powerful but dynamic humbuckers do it best IMO.