9:30am and I've already fired one tradesman.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Bidley said:
    spark240 said:
    The problem is that that we have missed a generation of apprentices ( they all thought Uni and computer studies was the way forward) so now we have older guys who can be good but not bothered, young kids who dont have a clue combined with a load of work out there so they can pick and choose.

You want to try and employ a decent spark...  
    Wow, what a load of bullshit. Lots my mates are tradesmen, and I've had them work for me. They're all around 30, I presume that's the 'lost' generation you're talking about?
    I heard from more than one reliable source there's a shortage of mechanics. One of our regular customers is now paying £14/hour for HGV fitters, most who barely know one end of a spanner from the other (his words).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    You could always do what I did and install the bathroom and tiling yourself. Although I'd advise doing it better than I did as 3weeks later something in the plumbing failed and flooded the lounge below  X_X
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited August 2016
    BigMonka said:
    You could always do what I did and install the bathroom and tiling yourself. Although I'd advise doing it better than I did as 3weeks later something in the plumbing failed and flooded the lounge below  X_X
    This is a feature wall in the living room- tiles are going up above a gas fire place that was put in without a mantle, which caused the plaster to crack.
    It has to be perfect and I've never tiled before.
    I'd have a go at something less critical but not this job.

I don't do plumbing though- too expensive if you get it wrong.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    My dearest Jim, I fear you're turning into a hipster version of Richard Homer with your stern face in your avatar and your strict attitudes toward tradesmen.    
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I have way more hair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom