Amp head re tolex....who have you used and what prices???

kramereekrameree Frets: 101
Hi
I have a Randall RM100 head I would like get recovered...luckily is has the metal front so it should be a simple job...who have you guys used and who is good value. I dont want to spend a lot on it :-)

Cheers J
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've heard good things, although I can't comment personally...nor do I know how competitive the prices are

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Tolex-Grillcloth:::111.html
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    Tube-Town are German so shipping is going to add hugely to the cost.

Any local amp repairer will know of someone who can do it.

Tolex from http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/coverings-grill-cloth

• kramereekrameree Frets: 101
    Def prefer UK...my local guy recommends someone who is expensive and shipping adds £40 return
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Recovering is a very time consuming job and will not be "cheap".

The main issue is removing all the old glue and getting a smooth surface onto which the new Tolex is applied.

I suspect you will not find someone who can do the job properly (I assume you want it done properly) for "not a lot of money".
  • Marshall are very cheap, but obviously it will come out looking like a Marshall.

Zilla will probably do it too. Chris Uff? Whereabouts do you live?
    Im in Surrey so getting down to zilla is a pain...luckily I've found a local guy who is going to strip the cab down and sand so its ready for tolex. 
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1072
    Still won't help with shipping, but I asked a similar question a while ago. I ended up selling the amp, however it was Hoffnine that was recommended to me. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57489/amp-re-tolex-in-scotland#latest
  • Do it yourself as its very very expensive 
    Found an upholsterer who is going to do the tolex work so this in total is costing approx £90 inc custom colour tolex...
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Have you thought about contacting Zilla (or similar) for a new shell/cab covered in the Tolex you want? Might be a cheaper solution?

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited August 2016
    Have you thought about contacting Zilla (or similar) for a new shell/cab covered in the Tolex you want? Might be a cheaper solution?
    Places like Zilla wanted upwards of £150 just to re-tolex a bare head she'll provided by myself

youll be looking at at least £199 for an uncovered  head box on its own from them 
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    S
    Places like Zilla wanted upwards of £150 just to re-tolex a bare head she'll provided by myself

youll be looking at at least £199 for an uncovered  head box on its own from them 
    Suggested on the basis the cost seemed to be the prepping of the old head, Potientially a new cab *might have been at least cost neutral given the saving on shipping costs one way instead of two.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Marshall are very cheap, but obviously it will come out looking like a Marshall.

Zilla will probably do it too. Chris Uff? Whereabouts do you live?
    Marshall will now only recover amps where you have done all the prep work.

I would be surprise also if they cover non Marshall amps.