Band website, facebook or both?

What's Hot
MistyMisty Frets: 135
I've had a website for my band for the last 6 or 7 years with Moonfruit. I also run our Facebook page. However Moonfruit have just emailed me to say that as from next month they will no longer offer the free option. So my choices are to stay with them and pay, use the opportunity to change to another website builder hopefully offering the free option, or just use Facebook on its own. Regarding the website, I do own my domain name, so ideally would be looking for a free website where I can also use that, if such a thing exists. To be honest I do think Moonfruit is a bit cumbersome to use, and somewhat outdated anyway, so don't mind changing. I'm thinking it would be easier all round to just use Facebook for general PR, gigs, etc.

I'd be grateful for any wisdom here, thanks in advance!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Depends on the band I'd say - if it's a semi pro pub band then I've given up with having dedicated websites and just use Facebook now,    but if you're a more serious function band then perhaps a website would be more useful.    Last site I used for free hosting was wix and they seemed pretty easy to use.    
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited August 2016
    Yes I should have said, we're a blues rock band playing mostly pubs. Been going for 24 years now, but as we've recently consciously been more selective on the gigs we do, as well as cutting down from 40 or 50 a year to around 20, we no longer need the sort of coverage a website can give us. However, it does present a more professional image, hence my dilemma. I have looked at Wix, but can't make out whether I can use my own domain name with their free option. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    edited August 2016
    We run both a website and a Facebook account. What goes on Facebook stays there, whereas we can remove stuff from the website when it gets too old. It's also easier for potential customers to find pic, videos and sound it's on the website
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    We run both a website and a Facebook account. What goes on Facebook stays there, whereas we can remove stuff from the website when it gets too old. It's also easier for potential customers to find pic, videos and sound it's on the website
    Good point. Any recommendations for a website builder?

• We use a web site built in Wordpress, hosted on 1and1.co.uk (which has been no problem).

It collects our Twitter and Facebook postings via Wordpress widgets and puts it on the front page. We then update Facebook and Twitter.

The web site also has static pages showing gig dates, video, bandcamp, soundcloud, gallery and all that crap. Most of our activity is on Facebook (know the favoured social media of your target market!).

We update BandsInTown gig dates from Facebook, and it auto-propagates to the web site and Twitter.

We put things on Instagram and that auto-propagates to Twitter.

It's easier than it sounds! :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • I use WordPress for myself.
    Band uses Facebook and gets more traffic.
    Thanks for these helpful responses, I'll probably ditch the Moonfruit site and just use Facebook while I decide on a new website builder.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    We had a similar dilemma and decided to just use Facebook  
    We had a similar dilemma and decided to just use Facebook  
    I think that's the way I'll go. In the longer term it looks as though Wix won't incorporate my own domain name unless I pay, though Sitebuilder looks more promising. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The downside of not having a website seems to be that you won't come up on searches. Someone looking for 'electro hip hop reggae band,  Purfleet'  won't bring your Facebook page up; although searching the band name will still bring the Facebook page up. 
    Badly maintained websites can give a poor impression as well. At a pub gig level a lot of venues will have a facebook and not a website so they are comfortable with it. 
    For us we discussed this and a website would have been pretty much just a vanity project. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I don't think people use websites now - maybe for function bands but not for pub bands - if it is original material then you could justify having one but most traffic I see is on FB. There are good tools you can use to make your FB more website like and plugins for YouTube linking etc - just need to look at other bands pages

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Google pages is free and you can redirect your domain name.   Pretty basic site builder options though
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Most of the emails we get via our web site are from people/robots who want to offer us web design and SEO services. We have had  a few queries though. And we do get page hits.

I just find it easier to say "hedgegods.com" instead of "Facebook forward slash hedgegods AllOneWord".

Also it possibly looks more "pro" on flyers and whatnot and looks better for festival applications.

If you are going Facebook-only I would look into some means of auto-posting the same content to Twitter, as many prefer that to Facebook.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Twatter can auto post to whatever FB page you choose.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. I'm going with FB for the time being, and will see how that works out.