Boss dd20 any good?

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
used to really want one of these when it came out, but how does it compare to whats out these days? Obviously it's not going to compare to a timeline or anything like that, but is it better than say a dd7?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    edited August 2016
    I had one for a while. From what I remember (more as I think of it):

Pros:
    • They sound good. 
    • They're easy to use
    • They don't break down (which was a massive bonus back in the day when the only real competitor was the Line 6 DL-4, which broke down a lot)
    • They have a lot of hidden features that make them even more useful. RTFM! No, seriously:  https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/dd-20/owners_manuals/
    • The footswitch setup is flexible- you can choose what the two onboard footswitches and a third external switch do.
    • Tap tempo implementation is good- lots of subdivisions, works when the pedal is bypassed (which a surprising number of pedals won't do) and I think it's switchable between global and per-patch.
    • Visual display of BPM / milliseconds and other parameters is very helpful when programming- you don't get that with some of the competitors (no screen on the Flashback X4 at all, limited display on the Delaylab)

Cons:
    • If you use tap tempo a lot you really need an external footswitch which increases the pedal's footprint.
    • Four presets (five if you use the "manual" slot) isn't a lot (although it's four more than you get from a DD-7 or equivalent)
    • It's very "sensible"- it won't self-oscillate and make spaceship noises or go super lush and washy.
    • Some of the modes are limited compared to equivalents elsewhere- the dual delay can't be switched between series and parallel (always parallel) and the second delay line can only go up to 100ms for instance.
    • Some of the "trick" modes- "Twist" for instance- are a bit silly. The DD-500 really improves on this by moving warp/twist/hold etc out of the mode menu and in to their own category that can be added to any of the delay modes.
    • Looper has limited control and a short loop time.
    Considering you can get a used DD-20 for around £100 I think they're still a solid buy if that's the top end of what you're prepared to spend on a delay pedal. I've owned a couple of other delays in that price range, and the DD-20 stands out as having felt more like a serious musical tool and less of a fun toy than the others. Take that as you will- it's both good and bad.

I sold my DD-20 to get a Vox Delaylab- the Delaylab had more presets, more modes, a better looper and more potential for weird and wonderful sounds (proper dual delay, pitch shifted delays etc), but I did miss the "seriousness" of the DD-20, and the ease of programming and operation (and the Delaylab doesn't allow tap tempo in bypass). I'd say that for similar money on the used market, the Delaylab is well worth a look too.

I've recently replaced the Delaylab with a DD-500, and while you're talking twice as much money for a used one, it's in a whole different league. It might be overkill for a lot of players (myself included!), but if you're interested in getting more than just a fairly bog-standard delay sound you might find that you reach the end of what the DD-20 can do fairly quickly.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
    Thanks for that, it sounds like it's going to be really useful. A lot of the cons don't really matter to me as it's going on my board with a DMM which can oscillate and do the washy stuff.

I was asking as I put in a bit of a piss take offer on cash converters for one, woke up this morning and surprisingly they've accepted at £70.99 delivered so it sounds like I've got a good deal.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Yeah it's good. Nice staight up delay sounds. No spacey weirdness. Modulate mode is nice.
  • Well I think Bob's written a good review there.  As far as I'm concerned it is a good unit, and given you've got it for £70 I don't think you can do any better at that price.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    That's a great price. I don't think you could do better than a DD-20 for that sort of money. Alongside something like a DMM that can do the silly stuff it'll probably be perfect.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    70? absolute steal
    +1 on bobs review being spot on
    They had it up at 100 with a best offer feature. I thought I was taking the piss but apparently not. Makes me wonder what the lowest I could have offered was now.
  • I liked the DD20 I had, but I thought the DD7 sounded better. I really liked the BPM feature. £70 is a steal though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • DD-20 plus a DMM will be a great combination. Especially at £70 for a DD-20, thats a total bargain. 
    Hmm they've not posted it yet or replied to my email. Hope they're not having second thoughts.
    It arrived and I really like it. Certainly put me off wanting the Timeline for a bit.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I really dig the dual delay mode too. It only has 100ms max but its a nice sound.
    Only annoying thing is that you only seem to be able to get 100% wet delay on the reverse setting?