At what age would you have concerns about buying a valve amp?

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
edited August 2016 in Amps
Kind of a general, wishy washy question I know.

But lets say you wanted to buy a used amp.  At what age would you be concerned about if certain maintenance has been done or not (and given amps often change hands multiple times lets assume knowing for certain wouldn't be a given)?  I appreciate it will really differ amp to amp, but there must be some kind of generic time frame for this?  

10 years?
15 years?
More/less?

Guess my question is can you predict old amp + low price = bargain OR potential headache based on age?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Under 30 years old.

Because after about then, amp manufacturers started cutting corners in major ways, which can make them not only less reliable but also harder to service, and also adding more complexity which can do the same thing.

Going the other way, about 40 years is roughly a cut-off when it becomes fairly certain that filter caps will need replacing.

Other that that it's completely dependent on the amp and how it's been used and stored.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited August 2016
    Ok.  

I'm looking at a Mesa 50/50 poweramp that could've been made between 1989 and 2001, which is why I was concerned about age.  The 2:50 replaced it in 2002 but I haven't seen any except for new.  The 2:90 started production in 1992 but I'm not sure if I want to go that expensive/that many valves.  But if I was spending near 2:90 money I'd honestly just buy a used 6505+ head instead.
    I wouldn't worry about it with a Mesa.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Depends on the amp.  Simple single channel circuit without lots of alien technology then they are normally fixable even if things like filter caps need replacing.  Complex channels switchers with what may have been state of the art technology 20 years ago that is now obselete might be better avoided.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    If I'm still doing it into my eighties, I might have a quiet word with myself. :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys.

Considering I'm under 30 if I've managed to retire by my 80s I'll have as many 5p valve amps as I can buy.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    Thanks guys.

Considering I'm under 30 if I've managed to retire by my 80s I'll have as many 5p valve amps as I can buy.

I do admire an optimist.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I've no concerns about buying any amp of any age but It's a given it's gonna need a recap, revalve and IEC fitted when I buy an amp from the 70s and before. 1989-2001? That's new! Maybe a valve change if ya feelin' frisky ;')
    Lew said:
    It's a given it's gonna need a recap, revalve and IEC fitted when I buy an amp from the 70s and before.
    Actually the valves can be the least likely of those to need changing!

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    An awful lot depends on how much the amp has been messed about with over the course of it's life and very often you don't know until you examine the chassis. It was quite common for people to tinker with the amps in the 60s/70s/early 80s, so you never know what you are going to find.