WGS ET65

LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
edited October 2016 in Amps
Recently had to find a replacement speaker for my 16W Princeton style amp.  It came fitted with a Celestion Greenback G12M and because of an issue with this amp the builder made the wrong diagnosis, telling me the speaker was blown. Turns out it was a soldering issue - not the speaker.

This led me to do a ton of research online to source a replacement.  I looked at a ton of expensive replacement speakers and eventually went with the US$69 WGS ET65.

Got my amp back from the tech last Friday and gigged with it Saturday night, and have been playing through it all week.  Great sounding speaker which I prefer to the Greenback.

It's tempting to use a whole array of vague adjectives to describe why I prefer the ET65 over the G12M.  Tighter, more focused, more clean headroom, less flubby (lol), better balanced, sweeter break-up, etc, etc.  But, to my ears, it just sounds better.

Really happy with this speaker. And it isn't even broken in yet!

Any of you guys have any experience with the ET65?  Would love to hear your thoughts/opinions.

I play blues, pub rock and mellow melodic stuff..

Cheers...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    yeah it's a bit more scooped than a greenback so i could imagine that maybe working better in a fender-style amp.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I've got one in my 2x12 MJW cab, currently mixed with a G12T-100.  Only have my MK50 to try it with but I really like it as well.  Seems very smooth, I may get another.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I've had one in my Carr Sportsman for a good while now, agree it's a great speaker, probably the best "all-rounder" I've tried. Great Fender like cleans but takes dirt very well too.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Not tried this one but I've got a WGS Veteran 10 in a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb.  Compared with the stock Celestion I'd say similar things about the tonal improvement.  I'm not sure ceramic Celestions suit Fender style amps very much - Blues are a whole different ballgame though.