Kamikaze

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited August 2016 in Off Topic
Currently reading a book, 'The Kamikaze Hunters: Fighting for the Pacific 1945' which is fascinating and gripping. Anyway, got me hunting for more material on the subject and came across this documentary on YouTube... 

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I identify as Japkin and I find this offensive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited August 2016
    No offence intended. I know the documentary is very American bugle blowing, but as a piece of history I find the whole Pacific war fascinating, especially when you consider the distances involved, and the trust that pilots on both sides were placing in little single-engined aircraft over tens of thousands of square miles of ocean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Thanks, I'll take a look later. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    HAL9000 said:
    No offence intended. I know the documentary is very American bugle blowing, but as a piece of history I find the whole Pacific war fascinating, especially when you consider the distances involved, and the trust that pilots on both sides were placing in little single-engined aircraft over tens of thousands of square miles of ocean.
    I went to the Atomic Museum in Las Vegas a year or two ago. The tour guide (some old FUCK!) couldn't hide his boner when he was talking about all the dead Japanese people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They fucking love that shit over there.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited August 2016
    Drew_fx said:
    I went to the Atomic Museum in Las Vegas a year or two ago. The tour guide (some old FUCK!) couldn't hide his boner when he was talking about all the dead Japanese people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They fucking love that shit over there.
    Gloating over fatalities is dreadful - everyone, on whichever side, is somebody's father, son, or whatever, and each and every death is a tragedy.

My interest in the Pacific war, without wanting to  belittle what happened in Europe and North Africa, is about just how difficult it appears. Like I said earlier, the distances involved are immense. I'm amazed at what pilots achieved - imagine trying to get back to your carrier in thousands of square miles of featureless ocean. Pilots over Europe had landmarks to help them home. Apart from very elementary radar, those airmen in the Pacific theatre had no such luxury.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom