Tried the HT5RH at practice

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
OMG, way better than the tweaker. Or... was it because I was going through my NL212 cab? The cab sits VERY well in the mix. The band's never sounded so good! Everything came alive, it was like an other-wordly experience. 

Dirty channel was at about 7 and clean about 8 and starting to break up. Damn sure it would do at small pub gigs. Maybe not bigger venues. 

Dunno what to do now as I've put down a deposit to try these amps on Saturday:

Atma
Rectoverb 25
Jubilee mini
Dirty Shirley
HT20

Remember I'm getting the MJW but probably start of next year and I've a few gigs between now and then. 

Fyi all I used tonight was the amp and channel footswitch and guitar volume and it sounded massive and so little faff as no pedalboard. I mean, how often do I REALLY use the pedals - boost and tuner are handy but I found I could do everything with the two channels and volume control, including clean, crunch and lead (volume rolled up). I loved the simplicity of the setup. I just spent a small fortune on a pedalboard, too. Think I'd rather take an amp head to practice from now on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool. I quite like the sound of it too. I still think it is worth trying the 20/25 watt heads you've listed as they'll sound a little bigger, maybe keep your eye out for a used HT5RH and you could leave it at lockup (if you've got that)? Are you also going to try the small Mark series Boogie?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I mean, how often do I REALLY use the pedals ?
    Clearly not often enough ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've tried the Mark V:25 but it was too loud and I didn't get on with the distortion. Rectoverb sounds more my thing.

As it happens the shop will pay £200 for the 260 + cover + footswitch (total cost to me £520) or I can trade all that for the used HT5RH with 1*12 and footswitch. I might end up with 3 amp heads :sweat: 

Pedals:

Wah for a few songs.

Tuner : rare given the guitars I use  but I'd say this is a must.

Chorus - use it lightly on clean parts.

Delay: almost never.

Distortion: used this instead of amp distortion bit possibly don't need it now.

Xotic EP..
     Damn, I need to keep this lol. Sounds too good.

I'll need reverb if any amp head doesn't have it (atma). 

So really instead of buying a bigger board with expensive power supply.. I could have just got a smaller BCB30 or similar.

Argh

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't get over how great it sounded!
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited August 2016
    If you liked the HT-5, you'll find the HT-20 sounds far far better. The clean channel sounds especiallly better. Try them anyway, there goods reference points, plus it'll be lots of fun.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    edited August 2016
    I think you will regret it if you stick with just 5 watts. If you are gigging you will easily come by situations where it's left wanting.

also, I don't understand the bit about putting down a deposit to try amps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    The HT5 is a decent sounding lowish-priced amp - but isn't (to my ears) in the same league as the Mesa MkV 25, et al.

I agree with @Dindude - I certainly wouldn't want a 5 watt amp as my main gigging amp - I'd far rather rein in something more powerful than fight against limited headroom. There's also a tonal 'authority' which comes from a bigger amp - even at low volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Like @dindude I don't understand the deposit thing. You're paying someone to sell you something?
    I hope that's not a new development in retail strategy.
  • Well GG are bringing in the Atma head and a bunch others from other stores. They say if I don't like any they'll refund me so yeah, I don't see the point. Maybe to put pressure on a customer to buy.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well GG are bringing in the Atma head and a bunch others from other stores. They say if I don't like any they'll refund me so yeah, I don't see the point. Maybe to put pressure on a customer to buy.
    They have to "sell" them to get them off their website/stock control system otherwise someone else could buy the same item from the website or any of the other stores. I've done it a few times at the Birmingham store and there's no issue getting a refund if you don't like what you try. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited August 2016
     I might end up with 3 amp heads sweat 

I'd call that a good start ..... 

And Wis'd for the Xotic EP = goodness !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited August 2016
    I also thought the deposit thing was standard when moving items between stores and holding stock to test. I guess it shows some commitment from the customer as arranging stock from multiple locations just on the fact someone might turn up to try them could mean they do a lot of moving stuff for no shows. If you can get it back then that's fair enough
  • Cool, I'm not bothered either way. 
    So.. I trade the 260 to go toward something like an atma, or I trade it for the HT5 and buy the atma (or similar) anyway. Will see how it goes at the weekend
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    edited August 2016
    If you find you need a little more volume from the HT5 then just stick a mic on it. Personally I find it's pretty loud. I run mine with a boost in the loop which adds something ... I don't know what but you miss it when it's not there. 

The other guy in my Thin Lizzy tribute used to use the HT20 but switched to an HT5 after hearing mine so we both got HT5's in that band. I can think of 2 other local bands on HT5's now as well after hearing mine. It's such a great little amp for the money 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2016
    TBH the HT20 is bigger and heavier than I want. Under 9kg is the goal. And yeah, I was being told to turn down lol. The pub gigs in Edinburgh... they're pretty quiet. HT5 would have to be mic'd for bigger venues. 

Some folk here say HT20 sounds better and vice-versa. What are your reasons? 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Ht5 would never be loud enough for my originals band, I don't like relying on in house sound guys for monitor mixes, I'd rather be able to monitor myself! 
  • How big are the venues you play!?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72493
    Well GG are bringing in the Atma head and a bunch others from other stores. They say if I don't like any they'll refund me so yeah, I don't see the point. Maybe to put pressure on a customer to buy.
    It's to make you at least prove you're not a total time waster before they ship the amps from one end of the country to the other.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That thought did occur to me - I just never replied - hopefully I'm not one of those timewasters. Time to splash the cash, I think lol..
  • Could you not get a cheap SS power amp and run the headphone jack into it then into the cabs? I seem to remember Stuart Bull doing something like that with 2 HT5H's

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.