Pretty sure this guy on ebay doesn't even realise he's selling an original Tubescreamer.

What's Hot
BeefBeef Frets: 260
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Overdrive-pedal-distortion-retro-/122088902101?

Sorry if I'm ruining your dirty little ebay secret for anyone here - I'm sure the price will rocket up regardless of it's naff title. 99% it's an original, but perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

"overdrive pedal distortion retro"... really mate?! Just can't believe how bare bones the listing is. Have sent him a message with a heads up to make sure he knows the potential value as it'd be criminal if anyone mugged him off for it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    edited August 2016
    Of course, given that he can't spell "implies" and is using "retro" in a non ironic way to describe something old, and his past listings are a hodgepodge of electronic items, I'm perhaps unfairly speculating that there's a chance the seller doesn't know what it is because it's been stolen.

Obviously I don't know. Probably legit. My spider senses aren't tingling so much as twitching slightly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    edited August 2016
    *adds to watch list* 
  • BeefBeef Frets: 260
    @cirrus Definitely crossed my mind! Though I can't help but feel it's legit for some reason. I think he's just not the sharpest tool in the shed, as opposed to being a crim but it is definitely a bit fishy I must admit.

He just replied to me and said "I was completely unaware of this as it was a through out for a friend." Whatever that means. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Listing ended. 
    My bad.
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    What would you possibly stand to gain from potentially ruining a bargain? That false sense of having done a good deed for the world around you? It's times like these when I'm so happy that the average idiot on guitar forums is only interested in Stevie Ray Vaughan and his overdrive pedals.
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    I mean, I don't stand to gain anything, that's besides the point; it's the right thing to do. He may be an idiot, but I don't like to see people get taken advantage of. He already said he had people trying to buy it behind the scenes for lowball offers. If I was selling something that I didn't know the true value of, I'd hope someone would do the same for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    It was at £68 with over 6 days to go before he pulled it so he was unlikely to be fleeced if he'd kept it there. It might've actually gone for a realistic price rather than the ludicrous BIN prices you see on ebay.
    It's the seller's responsibility to do the homework on their merchandise. It's not like it's difficult to look up a guitar pedal on Google. Even though I'm not even slightly interested in cheapo Japanese pedals it does still bother me that 'vigilante' types might go around and spoil the rare bargain that I'm following.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Oh boo hoo glynes.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    I think forum rule #1 applies here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    Well I think you did the right thing. You can 99% guarantee that had it gone for a bargain price it would have been back on eBay at a high price a week later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    Well I think you did the right thing. You can 99% guarantee that had it gone for a bargain price it would have been back on eBay at a high price a week later.
    Yes, that happens rather often, but in a situation like this is it really a terrible outcome? Why does this guy deserve all the support from the great Samaritans of the ever-insightful Fretboard forum when he certainly didn't pay market value for it himself and doesn't care about putting effort into his own listing. If a buyer has done their homework on 1970s/80s pedals and is investing the time monitoring eBay then why are they not entitled to getting a good bargain?

You're playing this out as if you walked into a mom n' pop supermarket and caught a shoplifter. Hoisting him down to the ground his microphone head swings around and the steel rail, that holds all the second hand clothing the store owner delivers to needy children, catches Jamal's throat, sending arterial blood all over the floor and the wall.

But I'm afraid your noble gesture is a thankless one, and now the 1% that is the aspiring (orphaned) electric guitarist lusting after nothing more than an original Tubescreamer to bring him the joy of contemporary blues-rock music, has seen his dream vanish into thin air. Soured by this experience he puts down the guitar and plugs the Playstation back in.

And for what? Now, instead of a vintage gear dealer making a profit from fair work and learning about effects pedals, a no-name georgemcarthy will be making a lot of money entirely from your work. If you're looking to do something to make you feel good about yourself then I'm sure the RSPCA is looking for volunteers.
    4reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    Give a me a break, Christ almighty.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • So was it on your watchlist?
    Beef said:
    Give a me a break, Christ almighty.
    Ah, a Praise & Worship guy. This explains it all. Do unto others etc etc. I'll leave you to your Strymon pedals then.

So was it on your watchlist?
    No, I didn't see this auction. I've stopped spending so much time in front of eBay...
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    Seriously doubt anyone's guitar playing balances on them having an original TS808 vs a reissue, to the point where they'd give up and just play PS4.
    Glynes, please. Don't be so literal, it's a phrase used to express exasperation.

Who shat in your cereal this morning?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Beef said:
    Glynes, please. Don't be so literal, it's a phrase used to express exasperation.

Who shat in your cereal this morning?
    Please don't be so figurative. Are you ever going to address my points?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    On the other hand, you could have been that "aspiring (orphaned) electric guitarist lusting after nothing more than an original Tubescreamer" who would have had no idea that it was being sold on ebay due to the poor listing name, and could have missed your once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire the said pedal and become the next Jimi Hendrix, if not for the selfless public service announcement made by the honourable forum member by the name of Beef...