Running event advice needed

What's Hot
kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
Have signed up for the Hampton Court Half marathon. I've done a bit of running in the past but never a half and never an organised race. Bit nervous that the website says that headphones are not allowed. I always run with headphones - not blaring out so I am aware of my surroundings, but still a bit of a distraction from the effort/monotony of the running.

For those who do a bit of this sort of thing - are headphone bans generally enforced  or is this just something they have to say? The Hampton court website seems a bit wishy washy (you won't be covered by our insurance etc). 

What do others do? Should I just suck it up and get used to running without?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    From experience, most (well) organised races will be quite strict on it...It's obviously for safety and I can see why they do it, but like you, I find running boring as fuck without music....so struggle to do it. 

I'm doing the London triathlon next year though, so I need to get used to it. 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I doubt very much you'll get dragged out of the race. However if you do get round and get spotted your time will almost definately be void. Whether that matters is your decision. 
    A lot of big events have taken to banning headphones now so there is a bit of a president to action being taken. 
    How very rock and roll
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Get yourself some wireless blu-tooth earbuds and if you get asked you can just say they are hearing aids.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Thanks all. Going to try running without, but will have a look at the earbuds if I find that too unbearable!
    kjdowd said:
    Thanks all. Going to try running without, but will have a look at the earbuds if I find that too unbearable!
    I can't run any real distance without earphones and you get absolutely slammed for it in running circles. I get the health and safety aspect but sometimes it gets bloody silly
    How very rock and roll
    kjdowd said:
    I can't run any real distance without earphones and you get absolutely slammed for it in running circles. I get the health and safety aspect but sometimes it gets bloody silly
    What do you do then? Wear earphones and run the risk of your time being invalid?
    kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:
    What do you do then? Wear earphones and run the risk of your time being invalid?
    I've only been in one race where they have been banned outright. That was a 10k and I ran without. Tbh although I run a lot and I like to do a lot of races I'm not your typical "runner." So if it was a long distance race where headphones were banned I wouldn't book on it. 
    If I found out after I'd run without tbh but would struggle to do anything over 10k without my ear phones 
    How very rock and roll
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5164
    Just be discreet and you should be fine...just avoid 1970's headphones with coily leads :)
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited August 2016
    Runners with headphones can be annoying when you want to get past. I got stuck behind one yesterday hogging the footpath along the canal when I was on my bike. No matter how much I rang my bell he would'nt move over.

Having done the great north run a few times I know they have ambulances going through the runners every now and again. This is probably one of the reasons they dont allow headphones.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I run without music- I've tried running with it but it seems to affect my pacing and my breathing.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I'm not a runner but when cycling out in the country I often have quiet music playing in my left ear, but at the weekend I did my first cycling event with loads of people and didn't miss the music at all. There was something exciting about being surrounded by people that kept me engaged (even over 100miles) in a way that I don't get when by myself. You may find the same.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Do the rules say anything about boomboxes?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    Yup, full afro and getto blaster. 80's style.

Otherwise, just stick to the rules.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    It's one sodding race. Man up and ditch the phones!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    When I was a proper runner in my youth there was no capacity for music. Took it up again later in life and brought an mp3 player along. Soon got fed up with music in my head all the time so I ditched that idea about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. Running is thinkin' time!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited August 2016

:)  

if they don't allow music take a tacoma narrows bridge disaster CD  

tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    When I was a proper runner in my youth there was no capacity for music. Took it up again later in life and brought an mp3 player along. Soon got fed up with music in my head all the time so I ditched that idea about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. Running is thinkin' time!
    Interesting. For me running is pretty much the only time in the day where I am not thinking of anything! I love hearing peoples different reasons and motivations for running
    How very rock and roll
    axisus said:
    Interesting. For me running is pretty much the only time in the day where I am not thinking of anything! I love hearing peoples different reasons and motivations for running
    I'm really not a natural runner. Takes me a while to get to reasonable distances/times and if I stop running my fitness drops off rapidly. I run mainly to stay healthy and control weight - it is massively more effective than any other form of exercise for me. 

I do also find it is great for improving my general frame of mind and controlling stress. Not so much thinking time as just letting the mind wander. Listening to music has always been a big part of that for me, but I'll give it a try without for a while.