Some interesting insights about old Martins and construction in general....

LewyLewy Frets: 4346
.... from luthier John Greven:

http://www.grevenguitars.com/pdfs/MartinMyths.pdf

He's quite opinionated here but his background is such that his opinion carries some weight.

I think it's particularly interesting to see what he says about bracing and why it got heavier - not because because people started using heavier strings for more volume which is often quoted as the reason, but because they moved away from using stiff Adi tops to using Sitka which was less structurally rigid.

Anyway, for the geeks only but quite interesting I thought.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited August 2016
    Yes, that's the kind of track record that makes him more qualified to have an opinion than most of us.

Particularly like the advice not to be taken in by a pretty face (master grade top cosmetics).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    if u like this kinda insight where he is sharing his experience, here he is on selecting his tops and bracing.
    I came across them on 'Log Cabin' forum.
    If u consider what he's saying u can't be faulted in coming to the conclusion that most of the 'chat' regarding guitar sound / responsiveness on guitar forums is largely nonsense - X spruce is blah whilst Y spruce is bleh.
    When it comes to standardized production construction of a given design one soundboard out of many might be suitable for a manufacturers soundboard system design. Possibly why u get the occasional killer from a production built instrument.
    here they are -

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3505
    He's a legend for sure. 

I posted up a thread in the AGF asking about adjustable vs fixed neck support and crikey did a create a lot of controversy.  JG was in the camp of adjustable, but there were many respectable voices in the fixed camp support.   Even at the top when it comes to vintage Martin repro makers there's a lot of split opinions.