Alternative to Line 6 M5 for Modulation without the programme change hassle

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
Hi

I've recently re-discovered the M5, which I like and use for chorus, flanger, tremelo and occasional phaser.

Like the sound, but the changing of presets I hate - having to tread on both pedals at once and then start scrolling kills it for me.

I planned to get the Keeley Supermod Station, but that will only give me Flanger and Tremelo or Phaser with the options it has.

I could probably live with that (use Flanger and Phaser), stick with my Lovepedal mini-trem for the tremelo and pretend the Flanger is actually a chorus too.

Ideally I'd like something less of a compromise - anyone got any ideas? I don't have the board space for the M9, and it's got lots of pedals I don't need. All the things like Eventide H9 etc seem to have really manky preset switching.

I used to have the Line 6 Mod 4 tingy, but I found editing a pain on it - since you never knew where the knobs have been saved to.

Thanks in advance

Pete
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7543
    H9 can be set to scroll through presets but not load them until you hit the other footswitch - so you could at any point in a song get the next one ready to just hit activate. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Thanks - M5 modification looks terrifying (I have bad history of not messing stuff like that up0.

I've read the H9 manual, still looks a pain - for example if you scroll past the preset
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    edited August 2016
    M9 or M13?

EDIT: Just re-read that you don't have space... the H9 isn't that much smaller to be honest.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• peteri said:
    Thanks - M5 modification looks terrifying (I have bad history of not messing stuff like that up0.

I've read the H9 manual, still looks a pain - for example if you scroll past the preset
    yeah, debating whether to do it on mine
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17664
    tFB Trader
    Do you have room for a Zoom G3?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

If you hate the whole editing / patch select thing, why not keep your little trem, add a Ibanez Mini Chorus, EHX Small Stone and a MXR Micro Flanger and relish in the anolog, no-menu glory, all for half the price of a H9.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7543
    peteri said:

it's not perfect, but it is small :-)

You can reverse the direction of scroll by pressing both together briefly (bit of a faff) 

I've also (and this may be the best solution) hooked up a 3 button external switch to the aux jack on one of mine - then you can assign *any* function to the switches - eg the H9 could be tucked away at the back of the board and you plonk the 3-way external switch down and that is (for example) patch down, activate, patch up (and you can then reassign the switches on the uit itself to anything else you want or need. Or not.

The little Digitech triple switch I use is metal construction and about 20 quid on amazon 
    Red ones are better. 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Guys - thanks that's awesome.

All the answers I needed - so it's now either the all analogue route (appealing I must say) or the H9 with that switch idea.

Brilliant! thanks
  • You might be OK using a MIDI pedal to send patch changes to the M5 instead of using the switches on the unit itself. Hide the M5 away from your feet, put the MIDI switch (MIDI Mouse, for example) where you can get to it. If you like the sounds, this would be a lot cheaper than an H9!