Dover Calais...... Thoughts?

What's Hot
heading to Czech Republic to show off the result of one of my more impressive ejaculations. 
( taking new son to meet G/parents ) 
so driving as, well I can't recall why it was a good idea at the time but it's all booked now, any tips? I've done the crossing once before but it was a while ago. 
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Tunnel ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    They'll do the rowing for you, all you have to do is drive onto the boat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    Tunnel ?
    Yes she's coming along too. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ferry is booked, I'm not sure why I didn't even look at the tunnel, it's waaaayyyyy more expensive I assume? 
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    If you can change your route to avoid driving through Calais that might be a good shout right now.  Even if you've got to pay extra and drive a bit further?
  • richh said:
    If you can change your route to avoid driving through Calais that might be a good shout right now.  Even if you've got to pay extra and drive a bit further?
    Basically hitting the motorway asap and then through, Belgium, Germany through to CR. 
    I call it the ISIS biggest hits collection. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to Germany via Dunkirk....(hmmm there's a joke there somewhere)....in September. Was cheaper than Calais at £75 return. Tunnel was approximately double.
    Dunkirk is about the same distance to the Belgian motorway if not closer IIRC.

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Having done the tunnel both ways in recent weeks  (3 for 1with Tesco vouchers and massively better than a ferry if taking a pet) there were no issues. I'm on a couple of motorhome Facebook groups and there are loads of updates re Calais on those.  You should be fine. Most of the motorway rest areas near Calais are now closed to stop trouble and the ones beyond that consequently mega busy. So,  just keep on driving as far as possible once you get off the ferry. If you just need the loo use one of the aires without services,  they all have parking and toilets just not petrol and cafes, etc, so are much quieter. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Oh,  yes,  lot of people recommended Dunkirk. Lot of freight only going that way now. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Ferry is booked, I'm not sure why I didn't even look at the tunnel, it's waaaayyyyy more expensive I assume? 

I always thought so, but we used it to drive to France this year, and it was no more expensive than the ferry. Much quicker, less hassle and more flexible.
    Worth looking into in future.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Tunnel is painless if there's no hold ups - unpopular times of day have no or little queues

Feedback
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    The tunnel is about the same price as the ferry and when it works much quicker. That's the important bit though, because when it doesn't work you'll be delayed for (many miserable) hours.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Going on the boat is more of an adventure surely, I've not been on the tunnel and I'm sure it's quicker but I've always enjoyed the ferry, seems a more civilised way to travel.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Yeah, but some adventures don't need repeating. At one point I was visiting a factory in Calais every other week. I tried all the methods including foot passenger on the ferry. Tunnel was by far the favourite, and competitively priced compared with car ferry, or even foot passenger and lots of taxis.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Roland said:
    Yeah, but some adventures don't need repeating. At one point I was visiting a factory in Calais every other week. I tried all the methods including foot passenger on the ferry. Tunnel was by far the favourite, and competitively priced compared with car ferry, or even foot passenger and lots of taxis.
    For business yeah I'd want to take the quickest route.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    @lloyd You drive your car onto a train! It's like being James Bond or something. Plenty of adventure on the tunnel IMO. (At least the first time, if you're 11).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Although once you are on it basically it's just being parked for 40 minutes. Disappointingly you can't see fish out the window. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Or ... you drive into the terminal in time for your pre-booked journey. Then you're informed that due to a "technical issue" you will be delayed 30 mins. After waiting for 60 mins you're then informed that you will be delayed a further 60 mns. 2 hours later and still waitng it dawns on you that if the tunnel isn't working there's not a damn thing they can do to mitigate it as it is in essence a giant bottleneck. Five hours later you get on a train and decide that you'll take the ferry next tme.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Dovakia.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom