Kemper vs. Helix...and the winner is...

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
edited August 2016 in Amps
Kemper.

I had been looking to find some way of playing at home, but actual silent practice with headphones, with good amp modelling and FX, and because of this considered the Helix. Put down a deposit on one. However, I didn't want to give up all my pedals, was always going to keep a few of them.

Then, as the shop I was pottering about in had one, I tried a Kemper. I was completely sold. I played the Deluxe Reverb model, and I could barely tell the difference from my own. I loved the Marshall models, the Mesas...and it sounds great through headphones, and has an effects loop, even though the effects on this sound tremendous.

As I was going to spend £1k+ on a Helix, getting a KPA feels like a no-brainer now. It's happening. I'll just get my deposit refunded for the Helix and get the KPA.

I was looking at getting the "Toaster" head version of this (I'll think on the footswitch board another time). Am I better getting the powered version or the cheaper one without the 600W power amp. I presume I could use the unpowered version straight into a PA?

So yes. Talk Kemper to me. Tips, upsides, downsides, good things, bad things.

I have been seduced by Kemper completely.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    I'm seriously looking into this aswell. Did you get the full power pedal bundle? Any third party profiles yet from theampfactory or Michael Britt?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    You can use the unpowered one straight into a PA.  You would need a decent way to monitor it though.

I'm assuming the one in the shop just had the stock factory profiles.  They are good (some better than others) but I think there are better ones out there.  I've bought some Amp Factory ones but the best ones I've found are the Michael Britt ones.  There are also thousands on the rig exchange for free so if you are willing to browse through them you will be able to find some good ones there as well.  It's very easy to audition them with the Rig Manager software.

If you are keeping some pedals it responds well to drive pedals in front of it as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ruoma I haven't bought one yet. I was going to go just for the unpowered Toaster head and add the floor switcher later. Just trying to work out whether it's essential to have the powered version. If I can put the unpowered head into a PA and can use it in rehearsal with a reverb & delay in the loop and a drive in the front of it, I'm sold. The key for my needs is versatility and use with headphones at home. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Kemper is a great bit of kit. I got mine in 2013 and I got the rack version as a) I had a rack and b) I had a power amp. There was also the fact that the powered version wasn't available then ;)

There are tons of profiles available from Kemper, on the Rig Exchange and from commercial sellers. If you're buying profiles, Michael Britt and The Amp Factory are good places to start. Andy at TAF does tend to drown some of his in effects but that's easily remedied. The core profiles are very good.

There are criticisms of the Kemper effects - I.e. They're basic compared to other units from L6, Boss, etc. They're not as good as the Axe FX. There's some truth in this but the core FX in the Kemper are very good and there's enough variety for the vast majority of players to be perfectly happy. There is an FX loop if you feel the need to add external FX and the front end takes pedals very well.

the Rig Manager software is excellent and allows you to access all the profiles on the unit, your computer and the Rig Exchange for quick and easy auditioning. An editor would be really good but Kemper seem to have no interest in producing one.

the unit does take a while to boot up and the more rigs on it, the longer it takes. Ask yourself, do you really need 1,000 rigs? I use mine into a power amp and guitar cabs (monitor out with cabs off) and main outputs direct to the desk with cabs on. Works great for me and sound men love it. Lots of users prefer FRFR for onstage monitoring so go with whatever sounds best to you. 

Have fun!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    This week anyway Mr. Binty ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Drew_fx Aye, I'm not even going to pretend to disagree with that. :)

Have you had a KPA before?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    @Drew_fx Aye, I'm not even going to pretend to disagree with that. :)

I've owned three!! Two unpowered ones and one powered one.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You're dead to me !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    You're dead to me !
    That's an understandable reaction. A few years of peace talks and our difference will be resolved.

Nothing bought yet, though.

• Drew_fx said:

Jeezo! 

Would you you recommend the unpowered over the powered?

• Drew_fx said:

Jeezo! 

Would you you recommend the unpowered over the powered?
    I've got a powered one, thought it would be good as I wanted to still have a cab behind me, however I find that using a normal guitar amp with one of these is the worst, never can get a good sound, if I was to buy another i'd go unpowered.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As an alternative to the KPA powered version, I have a Camplifier, which is a small add-on stereo or mono power amp that fits into the space at the back of the toaster. They do them in various wattages.

The Kemper really is amazing. It continues to impress me every time I play through it. The space function is fantastic for headphone playing too. I suspect you will be pretty chuffed with it.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 749
    edited August 2016
    @Drew_fx ; Would an unpowered version work well with your typical studio monitors+headphones? I don't play live so it would be home use only.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I sometimes play mine through a pair of Genelec 8040s but prefer it through the Return of the effects loop on my ancient Trace Elliott into a guitar speaker of choice.  Heresy as I'm not getting the 'real' sound of the profile but I like what I hear and that is what matters most. Similar attitude with the profiles on the Rig Manager - forget what has been profiled, I just ask my ears "Does it sound good?"
  • @rossyamaha Hello Ross. Just wanted to check: can the THR100H or HD be used for silent home headphone practice as well?
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    @rossyamaha Hello Ross. Just wanted to check: can the THR100H or HD be used for silent home headphone practice as well?
    Certainly can. Headphone output on the back and no load needed. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• @rossyamaha Hello Ross. Just wanted to check: can the THR100H or HD be used for silent home headphone practice as well?
    Just plug in the THR100 to the wall, headphones in, pedalboard in front/fx loop and I'm good to go for home practice?

Ah this is all too complicated, Ross. The choice is now

Kemper
    Helix
    THR100
    Blackstar 1W combo
    Blues Cube

Although at least I'm undecided BEFORE spending a wedge of cash on anything :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    @rossyamaha Hello Ross. Just wanted to check: can the THR100H or HD be used for silent home headphone practice as well?
    Just plug in the THR100 to the wall, headphones in, pedalboard in front/fx loop and I'm good to go for home practice?

Kemper
    Helix
    THR100
    Blackstar 1W combo
    Blues Cube

Thats the one. Thats also a pretty varied list of products too! All fantastic I might add.

I can't help you make up your mind I'm afraid. Naturally I would love you to go for the THR or Helix (kids to feed etc). Ultimately it's abut what you need the thing to do. If you just need something to put your pedalboard through and into headphones, you may as well save a bunch and grab a THR5. If you need something that can also gig or be a backup to your existing rig, thats something else entirely. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

Kemper
    Helix
    THR100
    Blackstar 1W combo
    Blues Cube

That's quite a disperate range of gear!
    in programming terms it seems like you need to bottom out your requirements

• @Cabicular Requirements already thoroughly bottomed out. I went with a Blackstar HT1R. It does the job well enough.