Original 59 Fender Bassman - holy sh*t!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72603
    Just the valves and speakers - although you may have to replace the V1 plate resistors since Fender downgraded the rating compared to the originals so the proper 12AY7 valve can blow them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    What speaker change impressed you @ICBM?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    And here was me reaching for my credit card...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    needs more metalzone.

sounded great, not the kind of sound id ever use but i do love how touch sensitive the amp was. 
    ESchap said:
    Weber Alnicos. The Jensen reissues they come with now are actually OK, but they very much need breaking in - they're very harsh when they're new, and the problem is that most people don't get to crank the amp for enough time to really do it.. The Eminences they originally came with weren't very good though.

To be honest now I've listened to it again on bigger speakers I'm surprised how many of you are raving about that clip. Yes, it sounds good - but really, not much different from any other Tweed Fender cranked up, old or new. The touch-sensitivity is standard for any low-gain amp cranked into power-stage overdrive. There's a noticeable buzziness to it as well - although that could be from the recording, having a dynamic mic that close to the speaker voice coil can sometimes do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    ICBM said:

To be honest now I've listened to it again on bigger speakers I'm surprised how many of you are raving about that clip. 
    I thought the same.

Makes you wonder what most people are used to listening to :)

R.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    ICBM said:
    ESchap said:
    Weber Alnicos. The Jensen reissues they come with now are actually OK, but they very much need breaking in - they're very harsh when they're new, and the problem is that most people don't get to crank the amp for enough time to really do it.. The Eminences they originally came with weren't very good though.

To be honest now I've listened to it again on bigger speakers I'm surprised how many of you are raving about that clip. Yes, it sounds good - but really, not much different from any other Tweed Fender cranked up, old or new. The touch-sensitivity is standard for any low-gain amp cranked into power-stage overdrive. There's a noticeable buzziness to it as well - although that could be from the recording, having a dynamic mic that close to the speaker voice coil can sometimes do that.

Thanks @ICBM ;

I agree re the tone of that demo there are much better sounding demos of old tweeds on You Tube.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    No Blackstar, that's the sound in my head!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    I have to agree with @ICBM about this recording—the amp does sound good, but certainly no better than numerous other demos of tweed Fenders. I enjoy Johan Segeborn’s videos, but there’s something about his recording methods that tends to make everything sound the same. He also seems to demo many amps running flat out, which wouldn’t be my preference.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    Any Rock & Roll DNA in that video is instantly outweighed by the Croc-style footwear on display

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried one of those new Fender Bassman's in the shop today and it was fantastic. P!ssed all over the £1-2k++ Mesa/Friedman/Bogner amps. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    I'm not sure if there is one single part of the new 'Bassman' that's the same as in the '59, but it's still nice to hear that Fender are making a good-sounding amp with the name on .

Edit - it's actually the 'Bassbreaker' anyway... just to confuse you, the Bassman is now a series of bass amps :D.

• I was very impressed.... 
    Sounded very glassy in a good way. Sublime cleans and surprisingly... the distortion kicked the @rse off all the other amps. 
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    Liking that alot.

Also seen this as I was flicking through YT. Possibly the best tone I have heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PaiDuiLzas

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    I was going to link to that - very good Hendrix sound.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    yeah that sounds awesome

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Not wishing to be one of 'those' be all and end all Lazy J owners (but failing beautifully), I've been getting some pretty closely convincing tones from my J40 and Cruiser pedal this afternoon. Which I suppose is to be expected as they share the same bloodline. Would be interesting to see what circuit the J40 is based on actually.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Yep, I can get very close to that tone with the j20 cranked a bit and the Weehbo JTM through it

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30309
    My Tech 21 Trademark amp is better than any amp posted on here or any forum, ever.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    Knowing very little about these,  but just enough to come across as stupid, it's interesting how much it a) doesn't really match the Tweed sound in my head (which is probably based on small combos TBH) or even the quite dark Otis Rush Bassman type tone I'd also might expect and b) how much it is the sound of the sixties and seventies (although his guitar riffs also leading me down that path) and not the sound of 1959.

Maybe with a strat and some Chicago blues licks it would come closer to what I was expecting. But then the DNA of classic Marshalls is in this isn't it? 

And,  yes,  the Crocs and all that wobbling thigh flesh quite off putting. 

pmg said:
    Any Rock & Roll DNA in that video is instantly outweighed by the Croc-style footwear on display

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.